"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 01-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

fried, hashed, or spreaded. I like it.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #12
Head Chef

I use it in fried rice occasionally. I like to give it a dip in soy sauce, then sprinkle on some garlic, ginger, onion powder and fry it a little before I add it to the fried rice.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
Head Chef

I used it in fried rice a while back. It was Jasmine Rice, garlic, egg, Oyster Sauce, pineapple, green onion tops and spam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hawaiianstirfry.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	9638  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Years ago I entered a local competition for Spam Innovation I won with Spaminbocca. I got good comments about my Spammer Schnitzel and Spam Wellington, my Frito Misto de Spam(I used seafood cooky cutters) is a legend
Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #15
Head Chef

LOL Eating with you would be fun, Bolas. =) Even if I refuse to eat meat (byproducts) out of can ... srsly? from a can??!1? ... at least I know I'd be wildly entertained by you and your shenanigans!

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #16
Head Chef

Had spam growing up - still like it once and awhile. Like it scallop potatoes occasionaly.
I did see just the other day on Diners Drive & Dives - Deep fried spam balls.
I think I am going to have to try these just out of curosity. Heres the link to them - they served it a sweet chili sauce
Canned Ham Bites Recipe : : Food Network
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Lived in Hawaii on and off for a decade. Spam was a staple, everyone (but us) loved it. Spam sushi (not kidding), spam/pineapple kabobs. Spam on noodles. Spam with scrambled eggs everywhere (not kidding, even at McD's). Spam everywhere. And I do mean everywhere. I threw a party here and made it a Hawaii themed party, and friends were absolutely amazed that spam was featured! No one who has ever lived in Hawaii would think of having a party without Spam. When we moved to the mainland, we visited Austin, MN. We were having a drink at a local thirst parlor, and the gal who was our bartender joked about it. She thought that the local teachers were lying or exaggerating or something when they told the kids that the local product, SPAM, was a huge hit in Hawaii. Jer and I joked, and had a good time about it. No, it really was (don't know if it still is) very, very popular in Hawaii when we lived there (in the 80s). I don't think we ever went anywhere there wasn't a spam dish.
That's very interesting. I saw the Adam Sandler movie 50 First Dates and when he was leaving he received a box of Spam - didn't get it at the time, but he was in Hawaii - now it makes sense. Everyone here (hub and son) think I'm crazy for liking it. Hub doesn't think its real meat, but son eats vienna sausages and potted meat, so what's in that?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
Master Chef

Canned Vienna sausages were also very popular in Hawaii. People I know (who haven't lived there) don't even know that a real Hawaiian pizza does NOT have Canadian bacon on it. You got it, pineapple and SPAM.

It is a taste developed (for both canned meats) when refrigeration was more rudimentary than it is now, and it has since become part of the culture.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
Master Chef

Spam is real meat, pork to be exact. It is cut up with pork fat, seasoned with too much salt, a little smoke flavoring, and sodium nitrites. It is pressed into a can, sealed, and cooked in the can. It was developed as a way to easily provide meat to soldiers in one of the world wars, I don't remember which. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a Spam processing plant in Hawaii?

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #20
Senior Cook

No.....thank.....you.

Had it too much as a kid and never liked it then. Nor the jelly it was packed in.

Tags
None