"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

People have been braising for some time now. I suspect if the flavor wasn't there we wouldn't be doing it anymore. No more pot roast, no more osso buco, no more chicken cacciatore. Imagine.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
just to pick some nits, chief, while i agree about letting folks choose to sauce or not, you did say braising in flavored liquids can take the pork flavor right out of the meat. i think my spicy vinegar braising liquid enhances it. that's all.

but like you said, there's more than one way.
I also said that done correctly, the sauce (interpret as braising liquid) can compliment, or enhance the pork. We are agreeing here. I'm not arguing with you, though I may not have been as clear as I needed to be.

Little bro, I would eat your pulled pork without hesitation. I already know that. Like Andy and several others around here, I trust your skills without reservation.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Any time I have bought a fresh shoulder I have just inserted some slivers of garlic through out the meat, salt and pepper and roasted it in the oven on 300ºF. Since it took a long time to cook thoroughly, it went in the oven early on a Sunday morning and was usually ready by 2 p.m. I placed the roast of a bed of whole carrots and onions. The drippings made for a great and plentiful gravy. The meat was never dry. And it tasted like pork. I always started it with the scored rind side down and turned it half way through.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
Head Chef

James Martins recipe isn't for pulled pork though so that's a different kettle of fish , err, pork ......

I used Got Garlics recipe for my first pulled pork it's absolutely wonderful .
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I started one in my smoker about30 min ago.

If I don't feel like smoking it, I season the butt and put in a Le Creset on some sliced onions [ kind of a meat trivit in the bottom] and put in the oven at 200 degrees for twelve hours. I pull it out and fork pull it or sometimes, chop. Oh yes, I will put a cup or so of stock or even just water in as well. this is done with the lid on the Dutch Oven.

I've never done the liquid smoke before but I think "Cooks Illustrated" had a recipe that did a couple years ago.

Also another use for butt is just a plain roast at 350 degrees to 145 and rest for 20 minutes then serve. Great food.

Of course this shoulder would be perfect for grinding sausage too.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt View Post
I started one in my smoker about30 min ago.

If I don't feel like smoking it, I season the butt and put in a Le Creset on some sliced onions [ kind of a meat trivit in the bottom] and put in the oven at 200 degrees for twelve hours. I pull it out and fork pull it or sometimes, chop. Oh yes, I will put a cup or so of stock or even just water in as well. this is done with the lid on the Dutch Oven...

I have done a pork shoulder in the oven for pulled pork but never in a closed pot. I slow roasted it just as if it were in the smoker. I like the bark you get from dry roasting.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Everyone has their own particular preference about saucing. When I smoke butts or whole shoulders, they get 24 hours with a dry rub in the fridge and I use the leftover rub to make a mop. Unlike ribs, I do not wrap after so many hours. They stay "naked" throughout the cook. So far I haven't had anyone turn their nose up at my pork. Some use sauce, some don't.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt View Post
Of course this shoulder would be perfect for grinding sausage too.
i just bought a butt for exactly that reason, my first attempt at italian pork sausage. hopefully, i'll get to it saturday.

t

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I just posted this: Pork Chop Suey - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

This is how I use pork shoulder. I keep the cooked meat frozen in hunks.

This makes quite a lot, but it freezes especially well.

It's not colorful, but you could always add colorful bell peppers, but that changes the taste quite a lot.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
James Martins recipe isn't for pulled pork though so that's a different kettle of fish , err, pork ......

I used Got Garlics recipe for my first pulled pork it's absolutely wonderful .
GQ, could you please point me in the direction of GG's Pulled Pork

Tags
other, pork