"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Pork

Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Brining is your friend! I like a beer brine. 1-1/2" thick, bone in chops, 10 hour brine and grill. They will be moist and very flavorful.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Brining is your friend! I like a beer brine. 1-1/2" thick, bone in chops, 10 hour brine and grill. They will be moist and very flavorful.
Craig, luv ya dearly. But I don't think there is going to be much beer in a daycamp for kids. At least I hope not. And I doubt that they are willing to put out the money for 1.5" chops for kids. Great suggestion, just not for this situation.

I can just hear the kids telling their parents that they had beer at camp.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

Craig, luv ya dearly. But I don't think there is going to be much beer in a daycamp for kids. At least I hope not. And I doubt that they are willing to put out the money for 1.5" chops for kids. Great suggestion, just not for this situation.

Is OP doing the daycamp kid thing? I didn't pick that up.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Is OP doing the daycamp kid thing? I didn't pick that up.
Yes she is. She is the one who had a question re: cinnamon rolls.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

I didn't see anything in the OPs post that mentioned kids. If they had, I would have suggested a different brine. They also did not state they had a limited budget. My bad, I should not assume.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I didn't see anything in the OPs post that mentioned kids. If they had, I would have suggested a different brine. They also did not state they had a limited budget. My bad, I should not assume.
She is cooking for a daycamp for kids. Remember, she is the one who asked about the cinnamon rolls. That is when she mentioned the daycamp. Sorry I chided you. But it did make me laugh.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I would love to help with the questions you have. I have a few first.
You told us about your two ovens in your other thread. Could you describe all the equipment you have? I asking about cooking items, stovetops, tiltgrills, fryers.
And do you have help?
PM me any thing you want I'm sure I can help. 80 servings is up my alley and cooking simple is what the Army does. So feel free to ask away.
I'll be able to help with the chop question after I get a idea of you kitchen a little bit more.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Im working as a cook at a church camp this month and they want home-made cinnamon rolls for breakfast on Saturday mornings.

Cindy

Craig, this is her original post. She is cooking for a church camp. That means daycamp. Kids show up around nine a.m., have a snack, have lunch and go home in the late p.m. in time for supper at home. And since this is a church sponsored camp, you can bet the budget is tight.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #19
Master Chef

Baking is yoru freind. Just make sure that the ribs are not overcooked, or they will be dry and tough, not something that the kids will want to eat. A simple seasoning of salt, a bit of pepper, and maybe a touch of sage will make the chops taste great. Bone-in make better chops than boneless, if you have the choice. The trick is cooking time.

Don't time your chops. Rather, bake them on cookie sheets, with sides, as suggested, multiple trays at a time if possible, and after thirty minutes at 350' F., check them with a meat thermometer. They should be pulled when the internal temp reaches about 150' F. Let them rest in a hotel pan covered with foil.

You night want to make or have on hand some good barbecue sauce, something with brown sugar, chili powder, and a little tomato sauce. This can be slathered over the ribs after they are removed from the oven, and before they are put into the hotel pans.

Equally good is to make a fruit based sweet and sour sauce. Pineapple, peaches, apricots, orange juice, Lime juice, they all make a wonderful sauce or glaze.

Serve with wholesome and great tasting veggies, such as hubbard squash, seasoned to taste like pumpkin pie filling, or fried cabbage with finely diced onion. Bread, or rice dressing, seasoned with sage, can hide onions, celery, grated carrots, etc., and who doesn't love a bit of good bread dressing on a pork chop. Sliced carrots, glazed with honey butter can change a kid who hates carrots into a kid who loves carrots.

Don't forget the legume group, beans, peas, lentils, etc, when seasoned and prepared properly don't take a lot of time to make, are delicious, very nutritious, and cheap. Now who doesn't like baked beans? And they are an absolute natural with the pork chops.

If you have the time, and the breadcrumbs, season the bread crumbs with salt, sage, black pepper, and chicken bullion. Dredge the pork chops in flour, then a vat of egg wash, , then the bread crumbs. Bake as directed above. Again test for temperature with a meat thermometer before serving.

Brown rice is much heathier than is white rice. But it takes longer to cook. Potatoes are just not a very healthy food, in any form. Choose other fresh veggies, or whole grains such as soba noodles, whole wheat noodles, steel cut oats, or rolled oats (for cookies and such, whole grain breads, etc.

I and a friend cooked for two weeks for 200 girs at a church girls camp. One favorite was taco salad, with home made refried beans on the side, and good salad dressing. The girls loved it. Your chops could be cut into strips and used in this fassion as well.

I hope I've given you some ideas you can use.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Baking is yoru freind. Just make sure that the ribs are not overcooked, or they will be dry and tough, not something that the kids will want to eat. A simple seasoning of salt, a bit of pepper, and maybe a touch of sage will make the chops taste great. Bone-in make better chops than boneless, if you have the choice. The trick is cooking time.

Don't time your chops. Rather, bake them on cookie sheets, with sides, as suggested, multiple trays at a time if possible, and after thirty minutes at 350' F., check them with a meat thermometer. They should be pulled when the internal temp reaches about 150' F. Let them rest in a hotel pan covered with foil.

You night want to make or have on hand some good barbecue sauce, something with brown sugar, chili powder, and a little tomato sauce. This can be slathered over the ribs after they are removed from the oven, and before they are put into the hotel pans.

Equally good is to make a fruit based sweet and sour sauce. Pineapple, peaches, apricots, orange juice, Lime juice, they all make a wonderful sauce or glaze.

Serve with wholesome and great tasting veggies, such as hubbard squash, seasoned to taste like pumpkin pie filling, or fried cabbage with finely diced onion. Bread, or rice dressing, seasoned with sage, can hide onions, celery, grated carrots, etc., and who doesn't love a bit of good bread dressing on a pork chop. Sliced carrots, glazed with honey butter can change a kid who hates carrots into a kid who loves carrots.

Don't forget the legume group, beans, peas, lentils, etc, when seasoned and prepared properly don't take a lot of time to make, are delicious, very nutritious, and cheap. Now who doesn't like baked beans? And they are an absolute natural with the pork chops.

If you have the time, and the breadcrumbs, season the bread crumbs with salt, sage, black pepper, and chicken bullion. Dredge the pork chops in flour, then a vat of egg wash, , then the bread crumbs. Bake as directed above. Again test for temperature with a meat thermometer before serving.

Brown rice is much heathier than is white rice. But it takes longer to cook. Potatoes are just not a very healthy food, in any form. Choose other fresh veggies, or whole grains such as soba noodles, whole wheat noodles, steel cut oats, or rolled oats (for cookies and such, whole grain breads, etc.

I and a friend cooked for two weeks for 200 girs at a church girls camp. One favorite was taco salad, with home made refried beans on the side, and good salad dressing. The girls loved it. Your chops could be cut into strips and used in this fassion as well.

I hope I've given you some ideas you can use.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North
That might work for some kids. I would have gone to bed hungry with those suggestions. Squash, pumpkin pie seasoning, glazed carrots, baked beans, bread dressing, sweet sauces, lentils. You have listed some of the things I really despise and despised as a child.

Tags
cook, pork