What's This Veal Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
My wife was in JAMAICA a few years ago and she had this VEAL DISH. She does not remember the name of it however, what she does remember is it did NOT have a tomato sauce over it. She claims it was this:

VEAL was breaded
It had cheese melted on top.
It had a sauce, but it was NOT tomato base.

-I have looked over the internet, but every veal recipe I find has a tomato sauce in the recipe.
-Does anyone know what other sauces would compliment veal?
-Any idea what this dish may have been?
-Which cheese compliments veal/

~thanks!

yummy

use veal instead of chicken! It's great!!!!!!!:):)

Thanks to food tv.com
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, choppedSeason chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess. In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.
Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley.

This might be it. This is a veal dish, but what sauce could this be?

recipes_top.jpg

Could be veal piccata, it is basically floured veal, sauteed, and then one deglazes the pan with lemon juice.

Some folks add capers, and there are recipes that use wine.

And a number of other ingredients.

But no melted cheese on veal piccata.

Sounds like a veal Parmesan with no tomato in the sauce.

I would guess a buerre blanc with mushrooms and a bit of garlic would work.

Right now have no other ideas.

would an ALFREDO sauce work or a CHEESE sauce?

Havent had veal since I was a kid. What cheese goes with it?

Do you have any idea of what other types of flavors there were in the dish? Is it exactly like the picture you posted or is that the only example that you could find? My first guess would be that it was Veal Saltimbocca.

Here's a similar Italian recipe:

Petti di pollo alla bolognese

Ingredients
4 small chicken breasts, skinned and boned
seasoned flour for dredging
2oz butter
3-4 leaves of fresh sage
4 thin slices of proscuitto crudo, or cooked ham, cut in half
2oz frshly grated Parmesan

Method
1 - cut breasts in half to make two flat fillets fo the same thickness and dredge in the flour.
2 - Preheat grill. Heat butter in a large frying pan with the sage leaves. Add chicken in one layer. Cook over low-moderate heat until golden brown.
3 - Remove chicken and place on grill pan. Place one piece of ham on each fillet and top with grated parmesan. Grill until cheese has melted.

In the Emilia-Romagna region this dish is prepared with veal. I cooked the veal version for my wife and her aunt (and myself) two weeks ago. Big success.

Veally, veally, tasty. (Sorry! I had to!)

Back
Top Bottom