ISO Help recreating an Indian Lamb Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lamb&Guinness

Assistant Cook
I lost the cookbook with this recipe. Can someone help me recreate it with what I remember?

Sauce: Equal parts yellow onion, Tomatoes (I would use 5 romas)
Season with Cumin, Cardomom, Tumeric, Coriander

Cubed meat from one leg of lamb. Two Cubed Potatoes.

Saute the onions, then add meat then add tomatoes and seasoning.
Cook down till sauce is sticky.

Add water (I forget how much) and add cubed potatoes.
Cook down for about an hour till the potatoes are cooked
and the sauce is thick again.

Can anyone think of something Im missing? be it missed ingredients or technique.

I really want to make this soon, but I dont want to mess it up.

Perhaps some minced garlic, and/or some dried red chilies! I'd add enough water to almost cover the potatoes and then check it periodically throughout the cooking, adding more liquid until the potatoes are done. Sounds good to me. Let us know how it turns out and be sure to write it down as you make the dish. I always forget to do that and then can't remember everything I did!

Here is how I make it.

Lamb - Cubed (I like to use leg or shanks)
1 large onion (yellow or red is fine)
2 large tomatoes (finely chopped)
1/2 stick of ginger grated or minced (you can even chop it finely)
4 cloves of garlic (minced or finely chopped)
1/4 cup of plain yogurt
2 green chilis whole (slit in the middle)
2 tsps of paprika (gives a nice bright color)
Make fresh spice mix if you can. It makes a world of difference (curry powder is not authentic in my books :))
To make a fresh spice mix for a lamb curry here is what you do:
2 tsp of cumin seeds
2 tsp of corrainder seeds
1 tsp of whole black peppercorns
1 stick of cinnamon
3 cardamom pods
1/2 tsp of cloves
Dry roast them in a skillet and then powder them in a spice mill and reserve.
Oil - 3 tbsps
2 dry Bay leaves
salt to taste
3 cups of water and more as you go to avoid burning
Cilantro and Sliced Boiled Eggs for garnish

BTW I use a pressure cooker to cook but you can use any other saute pan. The general method remains the same.

In a saute pan or pressure cooker add the oil. Once it's hot add the bay leaves, green chilis and onions. Cook the onions until they almost golden brown. Next add the ginger, garlic and spice mix and paprika and saute it for a minute to toast the spices in the oil. Add the tomatoes and continue to saute the mixture until the tomatoes are pulpy and have released all their water. It is important to do this step to get a nicely toasted bright curry (So you have to use elbow grease to keep frying the tomatoes and onions in the oil). Next add the meat and yogurt along with water and you can close the pressure cooker or you can cover the saute pan and let the entire thing cook until the lamb is tender and the gravy is nice and thick (should not be very runny).

Garnish with the boiled eggs and cilantro and serve with roti, naan or basmati rice that has been tempered with cumin seeds.

Back
Top Bottom