ISO recipe for homemade doner meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettyboop1

Assistant Cook
I would be grateful if anyone out there has a recipe for home made donner meat or where the best place to buy it is. I do not need the huge amount that is seen in the shops.

I like venison as much as anyone else, but I don't think Santa would appreciate us eating one of his personal deers.

BTW, welcome to HC.

I am assuming you don't have a vertical, conical spit, so you want to make something RESEMBLING shawarma at home. Here is the method provided to me by a Lebanese chef:

SHAWARMA

2 lbs. beef, lamb or chicken, very thinly sliced
Pita bread
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced

Marinade:
  • 1 cup plain yogurt, drained
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbs lemon juice
  • 1 Tbs vinegar
  • ½ tsp hot pepper sauce
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • ½ tsp cayenne pepper
  • ½ tsp ground mace
  • ½ tsp salt
Sauce:
  • 1 cup Tahini (sesame seed paste)
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup water (approximately)
Combine marinade ingredients, add meat, and marinate overnight.

Place the marinated meat in a barbeque cage and cook over hot coals or on a gas barbeque for 15 minutes, turning once.

Combine sauce ingredients until it has a creamy texture, adding water as necessary. Place the cooked meat, sliced tomatoes and onions in pita bread, and pour on the tahini mixture as desired.

Last edited:
.... on Dasher, on Dancer, on ... hey Blitzen, what happened to Donner???

If you're looking for Gyro meat - try this recipe.

One trick I learned from a Lebanese chef is to save the fat from lamb and grind it in with the beef to make it taste like lamb.

our donner kebab meat recipe....

I got this from the web a while back, and it is the best recipe we ever tasted. My hubby is English, and living here in the US we dont get to see much of the kebab or chippy shops. He said it is really really close to the stuff he would get when he lived back home.

Donner Kebab Filling
1 lb lean ground lamb (I sometimes add beef)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano (crushed)
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper

1 Combine ingredients in a bowl, and shape into 1/2 inch thick patties.
2 Broil 8-10 minutes until no longer pink.
3 Slice thinly and serve with pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, cucumber yogurt sauce.

Cooking Tips: one thing you need to remember is that you need very fatty lamb mince. The flavour is in the fat. commercially they add tail fat to the meat which has the most flavour of all. Over here marjoram is usually added, and a hint of mint. The onion powder adds a great flavour. If you can let the mixture marinate itself for 24 hours or more (a bit like sausages).

Author: canarygirl

Originally posted by Shaye33 on RecipeZaar.com

(I tried to post the website but it wouldn't take it yet :( not enough posts )

Last edited:
I miss living in Amsterdam. Best Doner EVER! Especially piled high on a pita with lots of cucumber and that spicy red stuff. Nothing better for the midnight munchies.

Speaking of the midnight munchies....
In college, THE place to go after the bars closed was Hector's.
Place never got above a B health rating, none of the workers spoke
much English (Greek), 20-40 minutes wait in line time....

But the Gyros were the best ever! At least at 2am with 3 sheets to the wind, LOL!

Fisher's Mom, I had the same thought especially after just seeing Sweeney Todd at the theater! My next one of the reindeer! I had never heard of it before but these recipes sound interesting. Maybe I can try one and see what DH thinks. We don't have lamb here much. I know growing up I could get lamb chops on occasion but it is not something I find in the chain markets. May have to go to some of the ethnic markets around town.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom