Iso recipe for lamb rib chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i have some frenched lamb rib chops, 2 rib portions, that i will be making for dinner tonight, but i have never made them before. i was wondering, is it better to put them under the broiler, or in the oven. should i sear them in butter/oil first in a pan, then into the broiler or oven? in the oven: on a rack? on it's bone (meat side up)? on it's side in a roasting pan?

also, what fairly plain recipe do you have for them. it has to be somewhat plain or dw won't eat them. (no mint please). i will be roasting some fennel, onion, and potatoes with them, tossed in herbs and olive oil.

thanks in advance...

LAMB RIB CHOPS DIJONNAISE

8 lamb rib chops, each 1 inch thick
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard with seeds
1 tsp. dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste
About 20 minutes before serving: Preheat broiler if manufacturer directs. Place lamb rib chops on rack in broiling pan, place pan in broiler at closest position to source of heat; broil 5 minutes, turn chops; brush with mustard and sprinkle with rosemary leaves; broil 6 to 8 minutes longer until chops are medium-rare or done (preference). Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 servings.

You could omit the mint.

TINY RIB LAMB CHOPS WITH MINTED DIPPING SAUCE

1/3 c. white wine vinegar
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. plus 1 tsp. minced fresh mint
12 single New Zealand baby rib lamb chops (about 1 lb.)
1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
White pepper
Have the butcher French the chops; i.e. scrape the meat down to the eye so most of the bone is clear. Rub each chop with the cut sides of the garlic and season with thyme and white pepper.

Make the dipping sauce by cooking the vinegar and sugar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Stir in the mint and let the sauce cool. Grill or broil the chops for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Serve them with the dipping sauce. Serves 4.

BROILED LAMB CHOPS WITH HERBS

8 loin or rib lamb chops, trimmed of fat (about 2 2/3 lbs.)
2 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. dried marjoram, thyme or tarragon, crumbled
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Lemon wedges (opt.)
1. Heat the broiler.

2. Rub the lamb chops all over with the cut garlic. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with marjoram and pepper.

3. Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-cooked lamb.

4. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired. Serves 4.

LAMB CHOPS IN CHEESE JACKETS

4 rib lamb chops
Flour
Salt and pepper
1 egg
1 tbsp. water
1/4 c. grated cheese
3/4 c. bread crumbs
4-5 tbsp. oil
4 tbsp. tomato sauce
4 thin slices cheese
Coat chops in seasoned flour (salt and pepper). Dip in egg mixed with water, and then tossed bread crumbs and cheese. Allow to stand long enough for coating to set. Pour oil into skillet and heat, but do not let it smoke. Brown chops on both sides. Place in shallow pan and spread each chop with a good tablespoon of tomato sauce. Cover with slice of cheese and place in a preheated oven until cheese melts and chops are cooked.

Ginger and Port Lamb Rib Chops
Use either dark or light port wine for this delicious recipe. Serve with grilled green onions and a wild rice pilaf for an elegant meal.

For the sauce:

1 cup chicken broth
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup port wine
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon steak sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon dry mustard
1/2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
8 lamb rib chops, cut 1 inch thick and trimmed

In a saucepan combine all sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Process in a blender or food processor until smooth. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use or up to 3 weeks.

Brush each rib chop on both sides with about 1 tablespoon sauce. Place chops in center of cooking grate. Grill 7 to 9 minutes for rare (140°F/60°C), 10 to 13 minutes for medium (160°F/71°C), or 14 to 17 minutes for well-done (170°F/77°C), turning and brushing with more sauce halfway through grilling time. Serve with heated remaining sauce.

Makes 4 servings.

Peppered California Rib Lamb Chops with Shallot Sauce

For pasta:
4 ounces angel hair pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
Grated Romano cheese
Chopped walnuts

For Chops:
6 California lamb rib chops, each about (3/4 to 1-inch thick), trimmed and bones frenched, if desired (If rib chops are unavailable, a rack of lamb can be cut into individual chops.)
Salt
2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, sliced thinly
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon butter
Prepare pasta according to packet directions. When done, stir in olive oil, pepper, cheese and chopped walnuts. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, pat chops dry and season with salt. Press coarse ground pepper onto both sides of chops. Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Place chops in hot skillet and cook about 2 minutes. Turn with tongs; cook another 2 minutes (for medium-rare). Transfer chops to plate and place in warm oven. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from skillet if necessary. Saute shallots and garlic, stirring, until golden brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and vinegar and boil until reduced, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and swirl in butter.
Remove chops from oven and on plate; spoon shallot sauce over lamb. Serve with pasta and crisp green vegetable.
Makes 2 servings.

wow, thanks rainee! i think i'll do 1/2 of them in the rosemary dijon, the rest broiled with herbs. i'll post the results tomorrow...thanks.

they're good when you're in a big hurry if you encrust them in black bepper and have with plumped, warmed-up dried cranberries. just boil them for a few minutes.
they're also good topped with a little crumbled gorgonzola. and the black pepper crust.

Back
Top Bottom