Opinions on Lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to disagree. I wish I had the citation on hand; however, the information came from studies performed by a research organization. It seems that grain feeding encourages the growth of ecoli in the digestive system. It is not the only cause.

You're missing the point. The levels of E. Coli in an animal don't make one whit of difference. Any level of E. coli only becomes a hazard when the animal is improperly processed - i.e. fecal matter or something that has been in contact with fecal matter comes in contact with the meat product that ends up with the consumer.

For example, let's say "1" is lowest level of E. Coli possible, "10" is highest. Lamb "A" has Level 1; Lamb "B" Level 10. If during processing the intestinal contents of Lamb "A" come in contact with the meat, there's a good chance that someone could get very sick down the road. Lamb #B is processed hygienically, thus meat is not infected & no one becomes ill.

If the intestinal contents of the animal do not come in contact with the meat/end product, the "levels" of bacteria present have no bearing.

breezy's point is exactly why chicken carries a higher risk of being contaminted over larger animals.

due to their anatomy, chicken guts are more easily pierced when processed and then can come in contact with their flesh more easily. hence, higher risks of contamination.

How odd. The two taste nothing alike.

I would disagree.

This thread inspired me to get some more lamb. The only thing they had at the store were cuts that looked like bone-in steaks cut from the leg. I passed.

Have to agree with ChefJune here. Even the very mildest-tasting lamb is absolutely nothing like pork in flavor or texture.

Why can't we buy center cut (?) type lamb chops anymore...you know, the lean chops with a sawed thru round bone towards one end of the chop. Anyways, no supermarket around here sells them anymore. Why I wonder? The lamb chops I see now are small, absolutely riddled with fat, and expensive (the current "chops" must be cut from another part of the lamb). Darn, I miss the other type.
I've no doubt that they'd be more expensive then the puny fat riddled chops I see now, maybe that's why I don't see the kind I used to buy years ago.

Unless it's a location thing, maybe ask your supermarket meat dept. guys if they can get them for you.

Around here all the lamb is super lean & we get all the cuts - legs, rib chops, loin chops, ground.

If the store doesn't display what you want, ask the meat manager. If there is no demand, they won't carry the cut.

It goes beyond that guys. Lamb isn't regarded by supermarkets like a cow that you can request cuts from. Lamb in supermarkets in the US is now..."what you see is what your gonna get..period". And as I've stated before, I could go to one of the very few street butcher shops remaining and request this type of cut, while shooing away the flies.

Where in So California do you live. It's hard to imagine a diverse variety of foods is not generally available, especially around LA or San Diego.

Why can't we buy center cut (?) type lamb chops anymore...you know, the lean chops with a sawed thru round bone towards one end of the chop. Anyways, no supermarket around here sells them anymore. Why I wonder? The lamb chops I see now are small, absolutely riddled with fat, and expensive (the current "chops" must be cut from another part of the lamb). Darn, I miss the other type.
I've no doubt that they'd be more expensive then the puny fat riddled chops I see now, maybe that's why I don't see the kind I used to buy years ago.

What you've described sounds to me like shoulder chops. Have you asked for those? I can't imagine they are not available anywhere. They are the less expensive chops, and aren't really "chops" at all.

Those "small, fatty" chops you described are the choicest chops on the lamb! Fat equals flavor in meat. :chef:

What you've described sounds to me like shoulder chops. Have you asked for those? I can't imagine they are not available anywhere. They are the less expensive chops, and aren't really "chops" at all.

Those "small, fatty" chops you described are the choicest chops on the lamb! Fat equals flavor in meat. :chef:

Thanks. Shoulder chops. (sawed thru round bone toward one end of the chop).
Yes, they don't have much fat in those cuts, but nonetheless, I really enjoyed them.
The thing is...with lamb and national supermarkets, they can't take your request for specific cuts of lamb. They will tell you for lamb..."what we get is what we get", which means
that even a request for a shoulder chop will get you nowhere. Lamb is kind of a specialty meat at major supermarket chains here. No use talking to the supermarket butcher about it.

Around here, mom and pop corner butcher shops that will cut shoulder chops are located in ethnic neighboorhoods. I can't say I am wowed when I visit these type butcher stores.
They aren't exactly pristine establishments as compared to supermarkets, if you know what I mean. Flies. Still, about the only place I'll find shoulder chops now, I suppose.

Have you tried Whole Foods? I believe they still take requests.

As well, butcher shops are not allowed (by the Health Department of whatever city) to be hangouts for flies and other sundry insects and varmints. If you've found unsanitary conditions in such places, you're correct to notify the health department.

In addition (although you'll pay a premium for it, not to mention express shipping), quality cuts of lamb can also be ordered online from a number of vendors & producers. I'm thinking this would probably be a last resort due to price, the fact that you can't see the product ahead of time, & how much you love lamb. :)

Center cut rib chops are the first 4 chops from the rack. #5,6 and 7 are called end cut or drop chops.

You can get the lamb loin chops which will look like the little mini t-bones, I dont think I have ever seen those as a center cut.

The only time you will ever care about center cut on lamb is when buying the larger US versions. The reason you dont see them much at all is because no one can sell the end cuts.

Those loin cut lamb chops (the ones that look like little 2 inch porterhouse steaks), can be found at Costco. I've bought them there for some time, and they always have them. In fact I bought some there today and we had them for dinner. They are "out of this world good"! They were $6.99 per pound and worth every penny.
I just pan fry them on all sides, and finish in the oven for a few minutes to med. rare.
You must have a Costco near you, as they are all over southern California.

Yet another spot to check out for terrific lamb in all sorts of cuts - farmers markets!

Ours has several (like 4-5) local producers of home-raised free-range poultry, beef, pork, & lamb. The quality is fabulous, they take orders for specific cuts, & it's wonderful to know you're supporting local agriculture.

I grew up eating lamb and love it to this day. I buy NZ lamb and don't find it too strong tasting. I always season it well with s&p and garlic and other herbs. Tonight we are having ground lamb stuffed peppers. Lots of spices involved. We love it.

I hadn't realized there was such a difference between New Zealand and American lamb. I was used to NZ lamb, which I love. Not long ago I tried American lamb, and it was very bland. It almost tasted like beef, as was mentioned here earlier, but not quite. If I want beef (which I love), I buy beef. If I buy lamb, I want it to taste like lamb. I will stick to NZ lamb from now on. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy to find around here.

:)Barbara

I hadn't realized there was such a difference between New Zealand and American lamb. I was used to NZ lamb, which I love. Not long ago I tried American lamb, and it was very bland. It almost tasted like beef, as was mentioned here earlier, but not quite. If I want beef (which I love), I buy beef. If I buy lamb, I want it to taste like lamb. I will stick to NZ lamb from now on. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy to find around here.

:)Barbara
All of the lamb at my local Costco comes from Australia or New Zealand.

Back
Top Bottom