"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Wild Game

Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

or raptors.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
or raptors.
Ok, now you're just scaring me.....

Old 12-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Birds of prey.
That is one. The other one that comes to mind is 'raptore' birds. These birds are also very dangerous for people. Just walking and getting too close to their territory and they will attack. We have had a pair of nesting red tail hawks destroyed because they attacked several people and drew blood with their talons. The nest then had to be destroyed. They had built their nest right next to a sidewalk that was used by people coming and going as well as children. You have remember, those talons are used to rip open flesh of possible rabid animals.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I was watching pigeons inside of Penn Station last week when I was in NYC waiting for my next train. I was struck by how much like chickens they are in behaviour. Having said that, I don't know how easy they would be to catch. It is easier to catch a chicken when it is roosting (not laying an egg--you'll get quite a peck). I often wished I had a butterfly net when the chickens were "feral." No idea what pigeons taste like--pigeons are not on of the game birds I've eaten. I'm quite fond of partridge/grouse, but haven't had that since leaving MN.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

When I was 16 yrs old I worked on a truck farm. Every day about 12 noon, the boss came out with the shotgun loaded with bird shot and would nail about 12-15 pigeons over the corn field. This was supper for the PUerto Rican hands. Sal.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #36
Assistant Cook

Yuck. Maybe city pigeons wouldn't be so gross but those things look nasty.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That is one. The other one that comes to mind is 'raptore' birds. These birds are also very dangerous for people. Just walking and getting too close to their territory and they will attack. We have had a pair of nesting red tail hawks destroyed because they attacked several people and drew blood with their talons. The nest then had to be destroyed. They had built their nest right next to a sidewalk that was used by people coming and going as well as children. You have remember, those talons are used to rip open flesh of possible rabid animals.
Yeah, destroy them! They should know better than to attack humans for encroaching on their nesting area! I always thought you had to get bitten to contract rabies, as it is transferred via saliva and I'm pretty sure rodents aren't carriers. Rodents being one of their primary food sources.

Craig
Old 12-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Yeah, destroy them! They should know better than to attack humans for encroaching on their nesting area! I always thought you had to get bitten to contract rabies, as it is transferred via saliva and I'm pretty sure rodents aren't carriers. Rodents being one of their primary food sources.
Craig
The city caught a lot of flack over that one. The hawks could have been relocated. They would have built a new nest and laid new eggs. They have been seen with possums and raccoons in their talons. And they both can be rabid. Even though we are considered 'urban', there is a protected salt water marsh area nearby and filled with not only raptor birds, but lots of ground critters that love to fish in the shallow waters. Raccoons being one of them.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #39
Executive Chef

It seems to be very rare that rodents or marsupials (possums are included) carry rabies in the USA.

Craig
Old 12-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #40
Senior Cook

We had a pair of birds make the ashtray outside our office their nest, what on earth possessed them I wonder. We had to put a note over the ashtray to make sure it wasn't used for a few months.
I've had pigeon a few times and quite enjoy it. I quite like gamey rich meats.

Tags
None