Anybody ever eat wild Pigeon/Squab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have only ever eaten duck and chicken...I need to try quail as I have heard it is delcious :)

Preparing pigeons

Hi Chief,
Here in S.W.France these birds are very popular, especially in the Autumn. Our french neighbour cooked some for a bunch of us the other day in fact. Rearing them is also common. I don't but many of our neighbours do. They have a small aviary in their gardens. They raise them on mixed seed or cracked maize.
We had them braised slowly with shallots and white grapes in a little stock flavoured with a dash of wine (I think probably red ) and served with simple roast potatoes and green beans. Fabulous!!
You can also confit them if you can get hold of some duck or goose fat. This is my favorite way and will keep for ages in the fat when cool enough to keep in the fridge. I can tell you how I do it but Google have some good recipes for confit. It's SO easy to do and well worth it.I also confit Rabbit which keeps the meat in both cases succulent. As for the flavor, think Pheasant or Partridge and if you like them ,well there you go. ;)

Had them a couple of times in Hong Kong. I've prepared other kinds of "game" birds, and the main thing is that like much game (an no, haven't cooked pidgeon, just eaten it), they can be way, way too lean and tough if you don't know what you're doing (and believe me, at times I haven't).

I understand that squab, comercially raised and butcherd before the bird can fly, but is at adult weight, is supposed to be haute cuisine. I'm wondering what the wild bird tastes like. What is its texture. Is there a "best" way to prepare it?

You're kidding right, about eating a wild pigeon? Ya know they call them "rats with wings" for a reason!

I've never eaten Pidgeon but my father used to shoot them and wrap them in Clay and throw them in the fire. When he pulled the baked clay off the pidgeon feathers came out . Pidgeon sounds a bit gross to me but he says it tastes like most game birds.

Back
Top Bottom