"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 04-01-2005, 12:17 AM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Aaaargh! My husband is SO picky!!!

We took him to a Sushi restaurant last night -- the kind where the little dishes rotate through the store on a moving belt, and you pay at the end for the empty dishes you have stacked up. He complained right away that the place smelled like fish (duh!) and wouldn't eat anything. (He hates fish unless it's fillet of sole drowned in catsup or deep fried shellfish.) I finally ordered him some tempura shrimp and he ate that with a glass of beer. But the fun kinda went out of the evening. His whole family is like that..."What's this? What's in this? I don't eat that...I don't like those. The consistency's wrong...etc., etc." Is there any way to cure this? After 35 years, we're starting to travel now and then, but it's no fun with a picky eater. Takes the adventure out of the trip.

Old 04-01-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Contest Winner

Cool

He just isn't going with the flow, Barbara has to kick me in the pants sometimes. Men like to feel like they are in charge.

Old 04-01-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Hmmm...I guess I hadn't thought of it being a power issue... He's been very nice to me all day, so I think he knows I'm upset with him... Haven't gotten the bouquet of flowers, yet, however!!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:03 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
Is there any way to cure this?

Yes, but since you love him a divorce would not be the right thing.
Too bad the Virtual Cafe is.... well..... virtual. I LOOOVE sushi ofcourse and would be in heaven if I was with ya. Alas, there are no BBQ restraunts that have a conveyor belt.
I feel for you sweetie! I have friends like that and I NEVER take them to a unique place, in fear they would drive me NUTS. Maybe you could both agree on a place thats fun before you go out?
Old 04-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Head Chef

Not everyone has the same taste and each has their likes and dislikes. At least he tasted something. I'll take lobster myself instead.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I feel your pain, sister I feel your pain......... my DH is/was a complainer until I told him just how much his words hurt me when I would go through the trouble to make a nice meal just to have him whine about it. As far as resturants go tell him to eat what he wants to but keep his opinions to HIMSELF!

IE; iffn ya can't say somtin nice.........don't say nuffin!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
As far as resturants go tell him to eat what he wants to but keep his opinions to HIMSELF!
I disagree. I want to hear the opinions whether good or bad. If hes buggin you then make fun of him by calling him a wimp! I feel a strong relationship is based around understanding and giving your opinions feely.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:20 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Their, at least you got him to go in a sushi resturant! I can't even get my hubby to think about going to one. He hears the word sushi & automatically thinms "raw fish". It dosen't matter how many times I have tried to explain to him that all sushi isin't raw, he just won't go for it. He wants his meat, bread, & potatoes. So, I know how you feel!!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:36 AM   #9
Master Chef

Tell him that sushi is the ONLY the name of the rice. And if he had any guts he would try wasabi and the cooked teriyaki salmon. When you goto a sushi bar they will take requests! If you ask them to cook the salmon (or whatever other fish/seafood) they will. Plus you can ask them to to put in anything you desire... etc..... ITS FUUUUUN!!! I love it!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't think it's a power issue at all.

I think he just is not willing to try something new. So many people were raised with a very narrow range of foods they were served. As a result, they grew up never having experienced a lot of different flavors.

This leads to wanting to stay in their safety zone where food is concerned. If you try something new, you may be disappointed and have "wasted" a meal.

I used to work with a guy who used to say, "If it doesn't 'moo', I won't eat it!"

I don't know what the answer is. If anyone knows it, tell me. My daughter has a BF who won't eat onions, garlic, olives, mushrooms, fish or beef cooked less than well done.