"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-02-2005, 01:34 AM   #11
Master Chef

In my neck of the woods they have started charging people who do stuff like this. Search and rescues can be fairly expensive operations. After the umpteenth teenager that went outbounds at the local ski resorts they started charging them for the costs if it was found that they were negligent. At work we also charge people that intentionally or from pure stupidity start forest fires. They are charged for the cost of suppression. The last fire we had that a person negligently started he was billed for over $25,000, which is cheap.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
Old 05-02-2005, 06:32 AM   #12
Executive Chef

It certainly seems fair to me to charge her for all expenses entailed with the search. Of course there is no way to repay for all the anguish and terror the family and friends went thru, or what it did to all of us knowing such terrible things really can happen. It could also affect how quickly a search could be started in the future for someone who may actually be a victim.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
not to mention the grief her family went through. i don't know about her but if i was having second thoughts i'd have called my parents and told hem to hold the search party i just need time away for myself.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:02 AM   #14
Cook

They are now discussing whether they will be pressing charges. She may get a year in prison for this, if they decide to take her to court.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Middie, I agree. The saddest part is the grief & worry of the loved ones/family. I can't see sending anyone to jail for running away or man-hours spent for a search. Re premeditation...think this situation has gotten blown WAY out of proportion by the media & too much speculation. Can't help feeling a little sorry for her. Maybe counselling might help. I wouldn't judge people without knowing all the circumstances. Shame on the news directors at TV stations for taking up air time with such insignificant matters & portraying the woman as a criminal.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #16
Head Chef

digigirl,
Is that a quote at the end of your message, or is that yours? Either way, I agree wholeheartedly.

Lyndalou
Old 05-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou
digigirl,
Is that a quote at the end of your message, or is that yours? Either way, I agree wholeheartedly.
Lyndalou
It's a quote, but I don't know where it originated. It's one of those things that has gotten passed around the Internet a million times. I saw it and just thought that it really sums it up like it should be! So, I made it my signature!

Glad you like it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body...but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"