"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-06-2005, 01:24 AM   #1
Head Chef

What makes you try a new recipe?

Idle chit chat...

I'm curious what everyone looks for when determining whether or not to try a recipe. I bake a lot so 3 out of 4 times, if I see a new recipe, I can tell if I will like it or not just by looking at the recipe, so that's how I determine if I will use a new baking recipe.

As for cooking, I don't use recipes to cook as much, so a lot of times, it's really hit and miss.

There are so many recipes available to all of us now via the internet. How do you weed through them all and determine which ones you will actually try at home?

Old 05-06-2005, 01:58 AM   #2
Senior Cook

If I am interersting in trying something new I read several recipes and compare. What I finally end up cooking is often a combination of recipes. I don't do this with baking. Experience has taught me that you need to be careful with measurements when baking.

I tend to cook things that include my favorite ingredients, chicken, fresh herbs, vegetables, ginger, garlic etc.

Pam

Old 05-06-2005, 02:00 AM   #3
Master Chef

i don't really use the actual recipe, but i get ideas by reading through recipes. it kind of depends on what i'm hungry for at the moment, but i usually read meat, seafood and cheese recipes and tuck away the info in my mind for future reference since they are about my favorite things.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:15 AM   #4
Master Chef

I usually start by determining the main ingredient, which 9 times out of 10 is meat. I then look at what other ingredients are included to see what I may have available. I tend to nix the recipes that require me to buy a special ingredient that I know I don't normally use. So if a recipe includes all the ingredients that meet my tastebuds approval I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:13 AM   #5
Head Chef

For whatever reason, I'm really a hit & miss baker. =/ I guess it's something I just need to practice. As for "cooking" the absense of meat is the first thing I look for. haha I do eat seafood, so those are quick to catch my eye.

I also try to stick to things that are over all on the healthy side. If it calls for a tub of butter or a gallon of cream, or a can of cream-of-____, it's not something I'll make. I really prefer simple. Don't confuse that for boring though. To me simple just means that the spices, herbs, sauce, etc. compliment rather than overwhelm. I'm always on the lookout for new ways to cook my veggies and good soups.

Most often I'm pretty good about picking out something that I know I'll like. And if it does turn out to be not as good as I thought, it's usually easy to make some changes for the next time to fix that. I like to start with a recipe and try it as written for the first attempt.

Z
Old 05-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

If I want to make a classic recipe, such as Boeuf Bourguignon, I go to a recipe from someone I respect as an authority. Julia comes to mind for this recipe. After all, as a classic recipe, I think it should be experienced in the classic form so you can determine first hand what made it a classic.

I use that recipe as written. While I'm eating it, I decide if I want to change it in any way to make it better according to my personal taste.

For other dishes, I'll search out up to a dozen versions of a recipe and compare them. I often develop a new version taking ideas from all the others.

When reading or watching new recipes, I decide to make one based on whether I think that combination of ingredients-cooked in that manner- will taste good to me.

Of course, if I've eaten it at someone else's table and really like it, I'll ask for the recipe so I can make it myself.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Cook

It depends on what kind of recipe I need. If dessert, then chocolate always intrigues and if a main dish a recipe will just seem right, can't really tell you why.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i try new recipes because of:

1. familiarity of ingredients (in other words, stuff i like to eat).

2. techniques i'm either familiar with and/or have the tools to accomplish it, like the specific pot or pan.

3. trying to make something for my family or friends for a special occasion.

4. something i saw on a cooking show, or in a restaurant that looked or tasted really good (it can get you in trouble if it wasn't on your plate ), that i think i could replicate or improve upon at home.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Talking

I pick my main ingredient and then start from there. If I'm in the mood for shrimp I'll find a bunch of shrimp recipes and then pick the one that sounds the best to me. I never follow a recipe though. I'm always adding a pinch of this or a slice of that.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 PM   #10
Certified Executive Chef

Good question htc. I usually will chose a recipe when it contains ingredients I love; ginger, garlic, onions, mild peppers, sage, rosemary, thyme, Itallian parsley, mushrooms, red pepper flakes, 99 % of the cheese in the store. I usually have chicken, pork chops, steak, shrimp, ham and some fish. IMHO you cannot have too many recipes, especially when it comes to chicken.