Anyone else have oyster stew at Christmas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
Its a family tradition for us to have oyster stew for Christmas.
I was wondering if anyone else did this and if so if you would share your recipe?
I just dump a gallon of whole milk and a half stick of butter in the crock pot set on medium stir occasionally. Chop one onion and bunch of celery. Saute in butter until soft NOT brown. Dump into the milk. Drain few cans of oysters dump into the pot and cook all day. Season with celery salt to taste.
I was wanting to use uncooked oysters this year. They come in the plastic container in the fish dept.
I live in Nebraska its kinda hard to just run to the shore for fresh ones. Have to make do with what I have.

Anyone else have oyster stew at christmas?

My MIL who's Pennsylvania Dutch always made it. Her recipe is the same as yours, but she uses the tubs of fresh oysters and does it on the stove.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
Oh how I wish I was having Christmas at your home. I absolutely love oyster stew.

I am surprised that you cook it all day. I have always treated shellfish with a delicate hand. It only takes minutes to cook them. After about 15 minutes cooking shellfish is done and cooking them any longer will only make them tough. Do not boil the milk. In fact you can add some cream to make it even richer.

I do like you idea of considering going to your fish department and getting them in the plastic container. The oysters are fresher in one of them. But keep in mind, they are very expensive that way.

An excellent recipe is as follows

Best Oyster Stew Recipe, Old Fashioned Oyster Stew Recipe, Whats Cooking America

You don't have to bring out the slow cooker and can be made right on your stove. I am assuming this will be your first course. This recipe is how New Englanders will make clam chowder, (more or less) and other shellfish recipes. It will take no more than 30 minutes. Get the kids to do the chopping. :angel:

When Im in a hurry and make it for lunch sometimes I just make it on the stove. Leave out the onion and celery Just fill a small pot with milk and a couple cans of oysters a little butter and celery salt.
I will let it cook all day in the crock pot because thats the way I learned to do it. I guess I dont know why it has to be on all day. Except that I eat on it all day. Wife dont like it so I have to make a ham also.

Just an FYI on those plastic tubs of oysters, make sure you check the expiration dates and also if the lid is puffed up stay far, far, far away from them. I've seen expired tubs and puffy lidded tubs for sale more times than I care for in even reputable grocery stores. Probably partially due to the fact that they are so expensive as Addie noted.

Just an FYI on those plastic tubs of oysters, make sure you check the expiration dates and also if the lid is puffed up stay far, far, far away from them. I've seen expired tubs and puffy lidded tubs for sale more times than I care for in even reputable grocery stores. Probably partially due to the fact that they are so expensive as Addie noted.

Sometimes I need someone to hit me over the head with a bat. It just never occurs to me to warn others about that. I just go through life thinking everyone knows about that. The oysters in the plastic tubs as well as in cans also need to be checked for small pieces of shell. I come across one every so often in the plastic containers. I guess they leave them in as it adds to the weight. More money for their pocket.

Of all the shellfish, oysters will make you sicker a lot faster and harder than any of the others combined. So when you do eat a bad one by mistake, it can cost you your life. But as long as they are fresh there is no problem. I love oysters. I eat them every chance I can. :angel:

We got in the habit of checking everything. The store they put up in the town near us has the crappiest food ever. I dont care what it is you check the date. We only buy stuff there if we need one or two things. They get away with selling crap because the next town with a decent store is 50 miles away.

We got in the habit of checking everything. The store they put up in the town near us has the crappiest food ever. I dont care what it is you check the date. We only buy stuff there if we need one or two things. They get away with selling crap because the next town with a decent store is 50 miles away.

If FedEx will deliver "Red Label" packages to you, order live oysters from a reputable online source and shuck them yourself. IMO, if this is a once a year tradition, it's worth getting the freshest product possible.

As much as I would love to live on a farm, I well remember the drawbacks. And the problem of having a store just down the street is only a dream for a farm family. :angel:

Its a family tradition for us to have oyster stew for Christmas.
I was wondering if anyone else did this and if so if you would share your recipe?
I just dump a gallon of whole milk and a half stick of butter in the crock pot set on medium stir occasionally. Chop one onion and bunch of celery. Saute in butter until soft NOT brown. Dump into the milk. Drain few cans of oysters dump into the pot and cook all day. Season with celery salt to taste.
I was wanting to use uncooked oysters this year. They come in the plastic container in the fish dept.
I live in Nebraska its kinda hard to just run to the shore for fresh ones. Have to make do with what I have.

They make the same thing here in SC. They make it with salmon or chicken too and call it stew.
I never quite understood how anyone could just dump all those ingredients into a pot and expect anything impressive.
Of course in my neck of the woods, its not important. :( And that, is a shame.

If FedEx will deliver "Red Label" packages to you, order live oysters from a reputable online source and shuck them yourself. IMO, if this is a once a year tradition, it's worth getting the freshest product possible.

If i were to make this stew (Steve's) and I plan to sooner than later, it will be fresh shucked oysters. I can get them at the grocery store. I am a bit surprised Costco does not have them this time of the year. They sell whole snapper on ice, so fresh oysters should be available.

I also doubt my wife would touch them with a ten foot pole. But I have come to the realization "its hers loss not mine".

Very good point.

Back
Top Bottom