Anyone Thinking Of Soups Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I core and roast the tomatoes (several pounds) drizzled with evoo with a clove of garlic and a basil leaf stuffed in the center of each for about an hour at 300* until they collapse. Then I run it all through a food mill (gently purees and strains at the same time.) I sautee my greens in shallots and olive oil, add a little white wine and reduce, then add chicken broth (a cup) and bring to a simmer, add the tomato puree (pretty liquidy) and simmer. One could thicken this with cream but I don't. If it seems too watery (depends on your tomatoes) chop some zuccini and add to the pot.

THe flavor is soooooooo goooood!!!!!

Another variation I've tried is crisp bacon and saute the greens and shallots in the bacon fat. Top the soup with the crisped bacon! That rocks also!

Last edited:
Robo410

Sounds really original, like you just fix as the mood suits you. I surely will try this soon and the family will be thinking of you when I do.. With tomato season almost over it is good time. You surely made a healthy soup there and sounds delicious. I truly appreciate it and hope you will continue to submit all your good recipes. Thanks. the mention of bacon always gets our attention.

well, Tyler FLorence calls bacon an honorary vegetable! Who am I to dispute this?

It is a "go with the flow" recipe...but it is easy to judge what to add if too thick or thin for your taste. But the flavor is there. As greens cook down a lot, the amount is up to your discretion...but a bunch or bag of young spinach, or a head of escarole is a norm for a soup pot where I come from. Chard or kale would work as well. If you are short on tomatoes, more broth (chick or veg) is certainly ok. I've made it with canned whole tomatoes, but the garden fresh vegetable roasted with garlic and basil is the key to the taste here. THere is no substitute for that.

Rickell - here's my "Portuguese Kale & Turkey Sausauge Soup" recipe. It can literally be on the table in 30 minutes.

PORTUGUESE KALE & TURKEY SAUSAGE SOUP

One medium onion, peeled & chopped
One pound of kale, de-ribbed & roughly sliced/chopped
1-1/2 quarts or so of chicken stock (if not homemade, I usually use one carton + one can of Swanson's)
Two medium white potatoes, peeled & diced -OR- two cans of cannelini/white kidney beans, rinsed **
One package (usually 12 to 16 ounces) turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large soup pot add enough olive oil to coat the bottom & saute onion until starting to soften, but not brown. Add sliced sausage & continue sauteeing until everything is just starting to brown a little. Add chicken stock & diced potatoes (if using) & simmer until potatoes are tender - about 15 minutes or so. Add kale & continue cooking until kale is tender. (** if using beans instead of potatoes, add chicken stock & bring to a simmer. Add kale & cook until tender; then add beans & stir gently until beans are just heated thru.) Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste & serve.

rickell said:
i think northern and navy are the same not sure though

Northern beans are larger than navy but they do taste similar. The navy ones seem harder to cook though. At least for me.

I ment to add to my last post I made a nice pot of veggie soup today. Mostly used leftovers from the fridge and added some of my home canned tomatoes and a small head of chopped cabbage from a cousin's garden and a little abc pasta. It made a wonderful lunch for this rainy day in NC. I do love soups all year just like heartier ones when fall and winter arrives.

I made some Italian sausage soup last week, I Love soup so I make it all the time. I don't care what the weather is!

I almost bought some more lentils yesterday when I was at the health food store, but I still have a bag and need to use them. I think I used a recipe from this site when I made the soup last - will have to check that out.

thanks for posting i will definately try this sounds to easy.

i made chicken noodle this weekend my folks are under the weather
and there is nothing as good as chicken soup when you are not feeling well.

also made chili not really a soup but the weather is still very much fall like
not sure how long it can last but i am loving it

For those of you with a Borders Books nearby, due to some coupons I had, I ended up yesterday with several new cookbooks, including one of those large coffee-table-type cookbooks (for free!!) - Best-Ever Soups ($7.99). I stayed up thumbing through it & can't wait to make nearly all the soups in it. I particularly like the fact that many of the soups have an Asian twist, so are light enough for warmer weather. The photographs alone will have you salivating.

Shunka said:
I make soups all year round!!! Love soup!! Made a great potato soup last night for my supper; will finish it tonight.

I do too Shunka. A lot of the soups I make in warmer weather are in the crockpot or slow cooker so they don't heat up the house. Just sometimes the comfort of the food outweighs the temperature outdoors and I go for it. Thankfully I DH could care less as long as its food :) .

It drives my hubby crazy that I am always hungry for a soup; even with temps over 100 here. He will eat it but shows that he doesn't love them as much as I do. Good thing he is gone 5-6 days out of the week, huh? LOL!! Since I tend to keep adding things to my soups, a crockpot doesn't work for me. I will start out with a decent sized pot and usually have to move up to a much larger size by the end. That is alright as I can freeze most soups or will happily eat them all week.

I haven't really thought about soups, yet. Once it really starts to cool down, PeppA will be wanting my Clam Chowder, Chicken Rice, and/or Seafood Gumbo. She has been dropping hints to me all summer about my Smoked Pork Posole, but since my oven is still on the fritz, and I don't feel like tending a smoker for 8 - 10 hours, that's on hold.

I did see a recipe for a soup that I want to try. I can't remember what the name of it is, but it's from Rick Bayless's "Mexican Kitchen", and it involves green chiles of some kind, cream, and who knows what else.

Oh Allen!! Have you shared your recipe for the smoked pork posole? If not, would you please, pretty please?????

I am a seasonal cook too, but just in the past week its went from the 90s here to the 70s for the highs and into the 50s at night. Fall is on the way.
I have been craving a good bean soup and Ina Garten's white cheddar corn chowder. I think I'll make those soon, when it gets a few degrees cooler.

Shunka said:
Oh Allen!! Have you shared your recipe for the smoked pork posole? If not, would you please, pretty please?????

Well, I thought I did, last year when I made it. I guess it's either been moved off the server (expired), or I forgot how I titled it.

Ok, here's the recipe that I recorded:

Posolé Rojo con Chipotles
Pork and Hominy Stew with Chipotles
Yield: 8 servings

1 ½ # Pork country-style ribs
-or- leftover pork roast
-or- leftover smoked pork butt
8 c pork or chicken stock
2 T vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 T minced garlic
2 t Mexican Seasoning mix
½ t ground Chipotle chile pepper
-or- 2 Chipotle chile peppers
1 t oregano
2 T salt, or to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 - 2 bay leaves
One 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
Two 15 oz cans hominy
For Garnish:
Flour tortillas, cut into strips and fried
Shredded cheese
Sour cream
Chopped green onions

In a large soup pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add the pork, cover, and simmer for about 2 - 3 hours, or until the pork is fork-tender. Pour off most of the stock into a large measuring cup. Remove the pork from the broth, and shred the pork with a couple forks. Return the pork to the pot.
In a separate pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, Mexican seasoning mix, Chipotle pepper, oregano, salt, black pepper, and the bay leaves. Cook over medium heat until the onions start to become translucent, and the seasonings begin to caramelize. Scrap as much of this off the pan bottom as you can. Add the crushed tomatoes and turn the heat to medium-high. Stir constantly, scraping the pan bottom often, as the tomatoes caramelize, about 4 - 5 minutes. This will add color and flavor to the stew. Add the pork, stock, and hominy. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer, until the flavors marry, about 30 minutes. Check the seasoning and adjust as needed.
Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish as desired from the list of garnishes.

I used the smoked pork instead of country-style ribs. I also used the pork gelatin that came out of the meat as part of the stock. I feel all that gelatin was a little to much. In fact, just regular stock, or maybe 1/2 c of smoked pork gelatin at the most, would work. I smoked some home-grown jalapenoes and turned them into Chipotles, and used two of those instead of Chipotles in Adobo.

Yes, soup weather is coming upon on us - love it ! Made chili a week ago, ready for bean and want to try a clam chowder (white).Any one have a good recipe for one ? Soups warm the heart :angel:

Back
Top Bottom