"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 08-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Originally Posted by YT2095
it`s interesting to see this topic today, I mentioned to my wife this morning (UK time) that I can feel Autumn approaching, and she said, yeah, we haven`t had soup for ages either

and although we`ll not be having that tonight, I have plans for a nice Beef and Tomato soup for tomorrow, with the Obligatory Chili pepper or 2 in there also

Beef and tomato sounds great.
Can you please post the recipe?

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:04 PM   #32
Executive Chef
It's been in the 70' during the day and 50's at night (sometimes 40's), so yes, soup has been on my mind. I made a chicken tortilla soup on Sunday. I only like hot soups, and only when it's cool/cold outside.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #33
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Yes, I am definitely thinking about soup! That will be the main part of my new job - did I tell ya I got a new job?

I was thinking about soup before that anyway. Ordered some Jerk Chicken soup for lunch the other day & they were out of it - so disappointed. Really in the mood for it lately. ChefJen, would you please share your recipe for Tomato Cream Cheese soup? Sounds decadent to me. I love decadent!
I'm all about the food!
Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:33 PM   #34
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
We are just coming out of the soup ' season' and I rejoice as tomorrow is the fist day of our Spring.

I have been making two soups that I love lately, and its pleasing that our clients do too!
First one is Broccoli and Blue Cheese and the other, my long time warming pal, Curried Pumpkin. This is made with coconut milk and sprinkled with cilantro. Important to have a tasty pumpkin/squash to start with otherwise the soup will be ruined. It is nothing for staff to roll their eyes when they see 3 or 4 pumpkins with wee wedges cut out of them. Ive microwaved those bits to do a taste test!! lololol

We dont even eat chilled soup much in summer. Too many other good things to enjoy, but come Autumn, Im ready.
In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM   #35
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Chef_Jen
Yes I made a batch of my Tomato Cream Cheese soup.. mmmm

its chilly here today
Jen, would you please post your recipe for Tomato Cream Cheese soup? My mouth is watering!

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #36
Executive Chef
I made potato leek not too long ago. Now I'm aching for Golden Chicken Orzo soup. Heck, maybe I'll make it tomorrow. Sounds good. It's a bit cloudy and gray here. Who knew?
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 AM   #37
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Originally Posted by pdswife
Beef and tomato sounds great.
Can you please post the recipe?

yeah if you like, it`s nothing fancy though, I`m only a home cook
the part that takes the longest is the beef, I buy a couple of Large beef Brisket "joints" put those in a large pot with bay, garlic, chilis, paprica, whole black pepper corns and a couple of large onions (dont bother taking the skin off if they`re clean) just slice them as is. then I top the whole thing up with Beer enough to cover the meat by half inch.
let that simmer for a few hours (3 to 4 is about good depending on the amount of meat).
let it cool enough to take the meat out Very carefully and drain it, leave it to go room temp, then pop it in a plastic bag and stick it in the fridge overnight.
this makes the meat more stable to cut, cut this meat into slices across the grain, then put these slices (enough for 2 good sandwitches) in a bag and freeze them.
take them out when ever you want beef sandwiches OR a soup :)
with the stock you cooked the beef in, strain that off into a meat tin or sauce pan and reduce down, enough that when cold it will Gel, after that put it in the fridge and gel, then cut into 4 slices and bag each one for the freezer as a Stock.

for the soup, take out 1 stock bag and a beef slice bag.
dice up an onion and a glove of garlic and frech chili peppers(optional), and cook this of until translucent in butter, add your stock and Tomato juice (an Italian guy grow toms on the land next to mine and makes his own juice, so I use that) but a carton of V8 or plain tom juice is just fine too, add the beef slices and simmer, the beef Will fall apart if you cut across the grain, salt to taste.
it`s bare bones simple, and about as far removed from complex as it gets, you can add whatever herbs/spices you think will go nicely with it too.
if you like it thicker, crush up some rice and add a little of that durring cooking.

once you have all the earlier stuff done (the meat ect...), it`s simply convenience cooking
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 07:53 AM   #38
Executive Chef
I make tomato soup (with escarole or spinach) this time of year. I make Manhattan clam chowder...I love soup any time of year...but seasonal ingredients help too!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Originally Posted by Robo410
I make tomato soup (with escarole or spinach) this time of year. I make Manhattan clam chowder...I love soup any time of year...but seasonal ingredients help too!
Robo410:would you mind sharing your tomato soup recipe here. Escarole or spinach sounds unusual to me, but very healthy. Thanks
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:16 AM   #40
Head Chef
My resulution for the winter will be to write down what I thrown in my soup pot. I love the free rein of experimentation soup gives me...is their anything easier to experiment with? BUT because I am very forgetful I cannot remember my spur of the moment inspiration that led to triumphs a couple of days later.

In the waning days of spring we had a cool morning and I thought I would make the red bride soup as given on the side of the packet of lentils, but in the afternoon the weather turned to warm....I did some thinking and decided that spicing it up would make it more vibrant and warm weather friendly...I cannot remember exactly but I was thinking east, lime coconut and firey little chillies were involved.....my husband must have eaten three pints of that soup....the whole batch went that evening, lol.

So this winter I want to start keeping a clip board with paper loaded for quick note taking in the kitchen.

VeraBlue...I love the sound of chilled mango soup....would you mind posting the recipe?

lulu is offline   Reply With Quote