Barley in soup. How?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish I had seen this yesterday, I could have offered some wisdom on the problem. I too had barley in turkey flavored soup one time when I wanted turkey barley soup. You have to add slowly and add about half of what you think you need. I love barley but it can be too much sometimes.

I wish I had seen this yesterday, I could have offered some wisdom on the problem. I too had barley in turkey flavored soup one time when I wanted turkey barley soup. You have to add slowly and add about half of what you think you need. I love barley but it can be too much sometimes.

You and me both :LOL:
Thanks for the rule of thumb for next time :)

It's definitely one of those "you don't do it twice" things. I used the quick and put the entire box in and just laughed at what I did. It was good soup, but I learned, start with half you can always add more. This year a box was just right because I made more soup but definitely a "live and learn" experience.

Best of both worlds, here's a recipe for:

Beef Barley Mushroom Soup

2 Tb Canola Oil
1 1/2 Lb Beef Shin on the bone
2 Tb Flour
TT S&P
1 tsp Canola Oil
1 Carrot, diced
1 Onion, diced
1 Celery rib, diced
4 C Beef Broth
2 C Chicken Broth

1/2 tsp Thyme, dry
2/3 C Pearl Barley, rinsed
1 C Canned Tomato
1 Tb Butter
3/4 Lb Mushrooms, quartered
3 Tb Parsley, minced

Heat a 6-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper and dust with the flour. Sear the meat on all sides until well browned.

Wipe the pan out with a paper towel. Lower the heat to medium, add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the carrot, onion, and celery to the pan and sweat for 10 minutes.

Return the meat to the pan. Add the broth and bring it to a boil.

Simmer, covered, 1½ hours.

Add the thyme, barley, and tomato, continue to simmer covered, for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add them to the soup, and simmer for 15 minutes more.

Remove the meat from the soup and cut the meat from the bone and dice.

Return the meat to the soup. Add the parsley. Season the soup with salt and pepper.

Note: If making the soup in advance, you may want to adjust the consistency of the soup when re-heating with added water, since the barley has a tendency to absorb the broth.

WHY do you put CHICKEN BROTH in your BEEF Soup???

Back
Top Bottom