"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
I agree with you Michael 100%, there is a soup I have made since I was a kid that I make
every so often, it`s a chili vegetable soup. My youngest son jesse when he comes in the
house when I make that he all ways comments, that we are going to eat good today.

bigjimbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
Head Chef
As far as comfort food ( soups ) go, although I dont eat it anymore ( since im a vegetarian now) , I remember when i was much younger and still living at home, on a cold rainy sunday, My father would Make Manhattan clam chowder. He would put a few records on the record player ( louis armstrong, peter paul and mary ...yeah yeah, I know kinda old) and he would lay all the vegetables on the table, with 3 cutting boards. Me , my sister and brother would help him chop the vegetables while he opened the clams. I also remember the pot slowly simmering for hours, and id always sneak into the kitchen when no one was around to taste it before it was done.

Im not sure if it was the soup itself, or just the memories that it brings back that are the comfort aspect of it. But who cares :P

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #13
Master Chef
You guys and gals have nailed it. Comfort soups should taste good. They don't have to be gourmet. And they do ellicet memmories from times when we didn't have quite so many complications in our lives, especially with those we loved. My Mother's chili is like that. She's gone, but lives on in my memories of her, her home made breads, her date-filled cookies every Christmas, etc. My Dad made boiled dinner, Van Camps pork and beans, cooked with Volwurths hot dogs in the same pan.

I could go on forever. But any of the foods that either of my parents, or grandparents used to make on a regular basis, are comfort foods for me, except my mother's grilled steaks. Man were they tough to chew.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
As for the "Healthy" part, how is replacing starch with fat any healthier. Thats the only real difference (taste not figured into this comparison) between the two. The starch in the Campbell's is replaced with the fat from the cream. And I don't truly know which is worse for you.
There's only 2 tablespoons of cream in that recipe; the Campbell's cream of mushroom soup has almost twice the fat and sodium as the soup Amy posted.

- http://www.campbellwellness.com/prod...2310&catID=294
- Oven-Roasted Mushroom Soup Recipe - thedailygreen.com
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Executive Chef
comfort food soups for me are bean lentil or split pea made from ham bone. I also love clam and seafood chowder, and make a rela nice Italian sausage "chowder".
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #16
Master Chef
At our house, Campbell's Chicken and Noodle was always the comfort soup, except for one of my daughters, who preferred the Cream of Mushroom. A friend of mine mixes a can of the mushroom with a can of chicken noodle. I tried it, and it's darned tasty.
Needless to say, a toasted cheese sandwich always with any comfort soup for dipping...slurp!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
When I was a tyke, mom made all our soups from scratch (Never had canned soup until my teen years).

She made the best vegetable soup with all the veggies neatly cut up into tiny cubes. Then there was her version of avgo lemono (sp?) soup (chicken broth thickened with egg and lemon). Nothing tasted better on a cold blustery day! And if you were sick, it was magic!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Ahh, I always loved when my dad said lets have some soup and crackers..That meant we would be doing the cooking together..And, it also meant one of two things, either creamy tomato soup (Campbells) that dad would add some heavy cream and pats of butter too, or he would make his version of Oyster soup, cream, fresh oysters,Worchestershire, oh they both tasted so good...But, for a kid a bucket of pond water would have been just as good, cuz dad made it and you got to help.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #19
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by cheers2wine View Post
This is my favorite soup recipe. It's easy to make. The sausage gives the soup a rich flavor. Everyone always asks me for the recipe.

Zinfandel Minestrone
Serve with French bread

1 pound hot Italian sausage
1 pound mild Italian sausage
1 chopped onion
3 carrots, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 quarts chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon dried basil
¼ cup Zinfandel
2 cups large shell-shaped pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

1. Squeeze sausages from casings into a large pan. Cook until brown and crumbly, approximately 10 minutes. Discard fat.
2. Add carrots, onion, zucchini, and garlic. Cook for about 6 minutes until onions are soft.
3. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, basil, and Zinfandel. Bring to a boil.
4. Add pasta. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes until pasta is tender.
5. Add salt and pepper. Serve into bowls and top with parmesan cheese.
This will make 12 servings.
That sounds delicious, c2w!

My comfort soups are Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls and Split Pea. Neither comes from a can. I make a good Split Pea Soup, but nothing tops the memory of my mom's......
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #20
Head Chef
I remember getting my grandmother's vegetable soup, when she was in the hospital, literally on her death bed. Sounds kinda morbid, but she was so happy passing the recipe to me so i could continue to make it. I also inherited the pot she made it in and one of the last things she said to me , was to make sure I put exactly 16 string beans in the soup. to this day, I count out 16 string beans , no more, no less, and always make it in the same pot. Because, her directions stated to fill pot up to 1 inch from the top, and if i used another pot, the measurements wouldnt be the same :)

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote