"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 07-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Creamy Split Pea Soup

This is my very first post so please bear with me...
Does anyone have a really awesome recipe for a thick creamy split pea soup w/o the meat or at least w/o the fat content? I know its out there somewhere as I've tasted it but don't have a recipe. Yep, I know it adds flavor but I don't need the calories. Thanks...

Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome to dc. i have never made pea soup so don't know. but you can bet someone here will know. they'll show up and help you.

babe

Old 07-20-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Master Chef

split pea soup (sans meat)
Old 07-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Sous Chef

My pea soup is very creamy, but doesn't use any cream at all. This is my recipe, tweak it as you want. You could lose the bacon, but probably need to substitute some flavor there. You can use all olive oil and use very little of it at that. I don't have exact measurements, but I'll guess.

2 c. dried peas,
2 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
chicken broth (I use good, organic chicken stock, which makes a difference)
salt
pepper
paprika or cayenne
1 bay leaf
olive oil & butter

Saute the bacon in some olive oil and butter. Add vegetables and saute until onions they are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add peas, saute some. Add in paprika, bay leaf, and broth (add enough so that the peas are covered), and set to simmer for a couple of hours. Add more water or broth as it evaporates. Check for seasonings and adjust as desired. When peas are soft, use immersion blender to blend into a nice creamy consistency. Simmer until desired thickness is achieved.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks all, for the welcome and the recipes... LadyCook61, I found your link helpful not only in a basic recipe to play with but the history was interesting too... Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
Thanks all, for the welcome and the recipes... LadyCook61, I found your link helpful not only in a basic recipe to play with but the history was interesting too... Thanks again.
Glad it was helpful.
LadyCook
Old 08-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #7
Executive Chef

it's so easy to make, couldn't be easier really, it's a ''go to'' soup when in a hurry that makes a tummy smile.
Welcome to DC. you'll find everything you need here, good/great source of help.

Package split peas, go through them, to ensure they're devoid of rubble/rocks/stones etc.
water to cover
3 medium potatoes, scrubbed/peeled cut into small cubes
1/2 small onion, cut up into smallish pieces
1 celery stalk
1 carrot
1 garlic clove smacked
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
In sauce pan put your peas and water to cover, the potatoes/onion/garlic, all contents from skillet, the whole celery stalk and the carrot not cut up. You'll remove later unless you want to keep them in there, I don't, but I like flavor they impart. Give good stir, cook on lowest heat covered, checking every so often to stir and incorporate everything. Check for salt and pepper as it disappears a bit when cooking down.
It cooks up quicker than you may think. Just check the liquid level because with the peas and potatoes, they suck up the water, so you may need to add more every once in a while. When done, yank out the celery and carrot and toss, then put through your food mill or blender to make smooth or leave rustic consistency.

Been to Anderson's restaurant a multitude of times, like 2 weeks ago on our way up to Cambria, it's on the way. Husband wanted Anderson's split pea soup, like from the can, but theirs in the restaurant is scary good. They serve all kinds of toppings too, which make it even better.

I just watched NL do her pea and pesto soup and since I'm home tonight alone,I'm going to make it. Takes 3 seconds flat and is simply pesto/peas/scallions/lime juice/salt/pepper/water. In the blender=done.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Master Chef

Here's my favorite split-pea soup that I've been tinkering with for years now. It's not meat-free, but subs a piece of low-fat smoked turkey for the usual smoked pork.

BREEZY SPLIT-PEA SOUP

One 1-pound bag of dried split green peas

Extra-Virgin olive oil

1 large yellow onion, peeled & chopped

3-4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped

2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled & chopped

1 smoked turkey thigh

Two 32-ounce cartons chicken stock

1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Wash the peas to remove dust & sort through to remove any non-pea debris.

Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium high heat. Add oil and heat, add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add smoked turkey, peas, salt and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, and cook, partially covered, until peas are tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove turkey from pot and remove meat from the bones. Finely shred meat and put back into the pot. Stir in sage, lemon zest and cayenne and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.

Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with chopped parsley, and serve.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks, sounds terrific. I'm really curious about the pea & pesto soup recipe - please share the details.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

The smoked turkey is a good call - I'll try it, thanks. I made pea soup recently & it really turned out pretty good for a first shot although I got carried away with the dried red pepper flakes - a little spicier than I expected but still edible.

Tags
None