Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
Do you make your dumpling in your pot of soup or make them and then add them to the pot once they're done?

For chicken and dumplings, I make them in the pot when cooking them. For noodles, it depends on the kind of soup and whether I believe that I will have leftovers.

If I am making chicken and dumplings, I will add about a 1/2 tsp. of sage dressing seasoning to the dumplings. Now I want some chicken soup. Dang! :angel:

I love my puffy dumplings made in the pot of simmering whatever. I use the Bisquick
side of the box recipe and cook them 10 minutes covered, and 10 minutes uncovered.
They turn out perfect every single time. That's just another example of cooking smart in my opinion.

Last edited:
I love my puffy dumplings made in the pot of simmering whatever. I use the Bisquick
side of the box recipe and cook them 10 minutes covered, and 10 minutes uncovered.
They turn out perfect every single time. That's just another example of cooking smart in my opinion.

A lot of folks may make disparaging remarks about Bisquick, but whatever you make with them, it is always a 'never fail' recipe. I hate to share any of the dumplings with anyone else. They can have all the other fixings that go with the soup. A little of the broth, and all the dumplings for me. :angel:

Last edited:
I love Bisquick dumplings, biscuits, pancakes and waffles, but I tried making a coffee cake with Bisquick and didn't like it. I think the recipe is on the box. I can't duplicate my mother's dumplings. They were wet and sticky on the outside but dry and fluffy on the inside. I think she made them from Bisquick but since I wasn't allowed in the kitchen when she was cooking, I'm not sure.

I also liked the rolled "pot pie" dumplings that she used to make. Can't duplicate them, either.

I love Bisquick dumplings, biscuits, pancakes and waffles, but I tried making a coffee cake with Bisquick and didn't like it. I think the recipe is on the box. I can't duplicate my mother's dumplings. They were wet and sticky on the outside but dry and fluffy on the inside. I think she made them from Bisquick but since I wasn't allowed in the kitchen when she was cooking, I'm not sure.

I also liked the rolled "pot pie" dumplings that she used to make. Can't duplicate them, either.

If I am using Bisquick and it requires spreading flour on the board, I use the Bisquick. And I know what your are saying about their coffee cake. One time when I mentioned to someone that I drop my dumplings with a large spoon, the OP stated that she flattens out the dough and cuts it into squares, Then she drops them into the pot. I thought of trying that method, but then considered it just one step too many. Sort of like using a cutter on a patted out dough on the board. :angel:

Yep, then there are "flat tire" or "slippery" dumplings that some folks who don't know any better prefer. :rolleyes:

WARNING..don't anybody get their panties in a twist over that..I'm just goofing around.:whistling

Last edited:
I don't like the Bisquick coffee cake recipe either. I don't mind other things made with it, though if I am not in a hurry will generally make from scratch. I prefer the fat fluffy, very soft biscuit like dumplings but I'll eat the flat slippery noodle-like ones too.

We've got a recipe that makes some of the best C and D I've ever had BUT it's also a tremendous amount of work as the dumplings are made in a separate pot of either chicken stock or water, then added to the plated bowl of chicken and gravy. Best dumplings I've ever had and very good chicken mixture but it's a Paul Prudhomme recipe and if you've ever followed one of his you'll know what I'm talking about as far as how involved they are.

I don't like the Bisquick coffee cake recipe either. I don't mind other things made with it, though if I am not in a hurry will generally make from scratch. I prefer the fat fluffy, very soft biscuit like dumplings but I'll eat the flat slippery noodle-like ones too.

We've got a recipe that makes some of the best C and D I've ever had BUT it's also a tremendous amount of work as the dumplings are made in a separate pot of either chicken stock or water, then added to the plated bowl of chicken and gravy. Best dumplings I've ever had and very good chicken mixture but it's a Paul Prudhomme recipe and if you've ever followed one of his you'll know what I'm talking about as far as how involved they are.

Raising my hand...I know what you're talking about! :mellow:

Raising my hand...I know what you're talking about! :mellow:

Hand #2 going up.

I couldn't even make sense of him when he had his TV show. All I can remember is that he was so overweight, that he sat of a stool that had wheels. Since then he has lost so much weight, I didn't recognize him at first. I kept having to stare at his picture. Good for him. :angel:

Yep, then there are "flat tire" or "slippery" dumplings that some folks who don't know any better prefer. :rolleyes:

WARNING..don't anybody get their panties in a twist over that..I'm just goofing around.:whistling

If I get panties in a twist, I'd be in real trouble, cause they're not mine, and that would just plain be mean to DW.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have yet to try dumplings but they seem simple enough. They don't sink or do they just sit there and boil?

Does this need a broth soup to cook in or can it be done in a thick gravy based stew?

Last edited:
I have yet to try dumplings but they seem simple enough. They don't sink or do they just sit there and boil?

They sit on top. As you can see Bisquick is the best way to make dumplings using their recipe and directions. They are clouds of absolute delight. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom