"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-26-2006, 02:47 PM   #11
Executive Chef

JDP, thanks. I had no idea that carmelizing was not a term to be used with sauteeing.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #12
Sous Chef

You can easily caramelize onions by starting with sweating. Once sufficient water has been removed from the onions, the temp will begin to rise and the sugars will start turning. The trick is not trying to rush it which will leave the outer surface of the onion caramelized, but the interior still "raw". Nice n' slow...

You can slice the onions really thin to speed up the process.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
From what I understand when sauteeing you would refer to the coloring of your item as browning or searing it while using high heat, mainly with protiens such as chicken, beef, seafood. Camelizing veggies especially onions is normally a slower and much lower heat then sauteeing. Just as sweating veggies as in a mire poix is done at a lower heat. The term "carmelize" refers to the cooking and browning of the available sugars in the item your cooking and depending on which item it is that it determines your cooking technique and temp. used. Although the term sautee has become somewhat basterdized to mean anything cooked in a fry pan with a small amount of fat regardless of temp.

JDP
Old 12-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I 'bastardize' alot of things.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Me too!

JDP
Old 12-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
Master Chef

While I use chicken stock rather than beef, I do use an adapted version of Julia Child's French Onion Soup.

I slice my onions paper-thin on a mandoline & slowly saute (or caramelize if you wish - lol) them in lots of butter over low heat until they're done to whatever turn I feel like at that time. Sometimes I like them deeply sugared; other times I prefer them paler. Either way, once the soup is simmered & the wine, cognac, bread, & cheese have been added - it's sheer poetry regardless of the semantics regarding the broth & onion - lol!!!!

Frankly, I feel it's extremely difficult NOT to make a good onion soup, regardless of your method.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:15 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntdot
Yep, it is the onions. But it is also the beef stock. And I make that very carefully.

Done properly the merging of the two ingredients into the soup is unsurpassed.

Of course the thyme, the cheese and the bread play their roles, but it is the onions and the broth.

One of the few dishes about which I have very strong opinions, and on which I will spend many hours of preparation.
Actually chicken stock also makes an elegantly flavored onion soup too. It just has to be good stock, no matter which you use. But I don't think it takes hours of "prep". It takes some goodly amount of time start to finish, no doubt, however.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
It just has to be good stock, no matter which you use.
Oh, I agree. I've loved it with chicken broth also and I'm more likely to have homemade chicken stock in my freezer than beef stock.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I use brown chicken stock in mine.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #20
Sous Chef

By the way, here is a whole 'nother thread on FOS - one of many.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...elp-30017.html

Tags
None