"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink French onion soup

Do have to saute the onions first ? Iam going to simmer mine all day - just wondering if it was really necessary ? Also, would it hurt it if I put in some of my leftover mushrooms w/burgundy? Thanks for any help! Oh ! Iam also putting my prime rib bones in it and extra meat.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I caramelize my onions and always put a shot of burgundy in each bowl, so I think the mushrooms/burgundy would be good.

I don't simmer mine all day. If you are using a canned broth, I might simmer that with some carrots/celery/whatever (then strain it) before I mixed it with the onions.

Old 12-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Everymom

You want to carmelize your onions a bit so that they have that sweetness and some colour to them. That is really key to a good onion soup. And I think the mushrooms in burgundy would be a very tasty addition.

Does that help a bit?
Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Thank you so much, both of you,- will do !
Old 12-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
Do have to saute the onions first ? Iam going to simmer mine all day - just wondering if it was really necessary ? Also, would it hurt it if I put in some of my leftover mushrooms w/burgundy? Thanks for any help! Oh ! Iam also putting my prime rib bones in it and extra meat.
It is bar none THE most important step in making French onion soup and you really can't shortcut it. I have done my onions up to an hour. Put the other things in if you want--it will be good.
The onions should cook very low and slow--not get burnt. They just sort of "melt".
Old 12-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I do my onions in a little evoo and butter on low heat and let them saute for about 10 min. I then sprinkle them with a tablespoon or two of sugar and keeping the heat low, let them carmalize about two hours, stirring every now and then to make sure they don't burn, I then add the stock, and a little vermouth and let them go til I'm happy with the taste and color...It's the one soup I do that I really am pleased with the results..
kadesma
Old 12-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
Barb, I saute the onions first in olive oil - but not too limp - not all day. You could add fresh mushrooms at the end of cooking time, a splash of burgandy, if you wish, but the stock/broth is important to giving the soup flavor. I would not add prime rib bones and meat. My secret (and I shouldn't give up my secret stash recipes), I serve the soup in the onions -- hollow out the onions (but leave a few skins), and serve the soup in the onions with grated melted parmesan or gruyere and croutons or puff pastry.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Like Kadesma, I put sugar over my onions too, while sauteeing. Sorry I missed that step.

I do cook the onions for an hour or two. I like them a wonderful brown and almost candied.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Carmelizing not suteeing is the most important step to true French Onion soup. Sauteeing is a method for cooking over a higher heat. Onions are high in sugar and the only way to bring that out is a slow and low heat... just a touch over sweating temp. You will need to regularly stir them especailly at the end to stop any burning but. They should have a deep carmel color when done. This is what will give you your true French Onion flavor. There are many short cuts that will yeild a decent flavor but none will give you the flavor you get from taking the time and properly cooking the onions. As for other additions burgundy won't hurt, I like white wine, a little cognac is good as well as a little Dijon mustard. Some people like their's a little thicker so they will add some flour to onions at the end and make a little roux before adding the broth.

JDP
Old 12-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #10
Head Chef

Yep, it is the onions. But it is also the beef stock. And I make that very carefully.

Done properly the merging of the two ingredients into the soup is unsurpassed.

Of course the thyme, the cheese and the bread play their roles, but it is the onions and the broth.

One of the few dishes about which I have very strong opinions, and on which I will spend many hours of preparation.

Tags
None