"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-28-2004, 05:03 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Freezer burn for a frozen liquid is really only evaporation. I don't see any reason to wash it off a frozen stock cube. When you melt it, the freezer burn is gone.
Maybe freezer burn might not be the correct term. My frozen liquids develop a layer of frost around them during prolonged freezing. This layer of frost, when thawed has absorbed the odors/flavors of the freezer and tastes horrible. The inner core tastes fine.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

Didn't know what you were talking about when you said freezer burn, but understand now. Yes, that's happened to me, too. The answer to the absorption of odors problem is simply more and better wrap.

The answer to whether or not you boil down your stocks is simply how it tastes to you and what you're using it for. I tend to just freeze my stocks as is, then reduce them when I thaw for whatever purpose. If I'm making a light chicken soup, I just thaw and add ingredients. If I want a base for a richer dish, I thaw and reduce. If, on the other hand, when I'm through with the stock and it tastes weak, I reduce before freezing. Unlike baking, which is a lot of science, stovetop cooking tends to be more art; tasting as you go along. If when you're through your stock doesn't taste strong enough to just drink a cup of, you need to reduce no matter what.

Old 01-01-2005, 12:05 AM   #13

When you freeze your stocks (or gravies) could you not just use the handy plastic "Zip Lock" tub containers? (Allowing for 15% expansion of water to ice, BTW!)

Contact to air becomes minimal, and "easily skimmed" off with water when defrosting, as would be the edges in contact with plastic, if that was an issue with some?

Neat, compact stowage, more "inside volume" than outside contact than an ice cube format would give you...?

Might be worth you guys giving it a shot and seeing how it comes out for you...

Lifter
Old 01-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #14
Head Chef

I tried the use of ice cube trays for a while (thought that was the most brilliant idea I had heard of in a while and still do!). But I tend to use a tray's worth, at least, at a time.

So I tend to revert to my "old ways" of placing a ziploc into a coffee cup and filling with gelled stock, removing as much air as possible, then storing in a heavy plastic tupperware-type container in the freezer. I tend also to use stock heavily, so I've rarely kept the stuff frozen for more than a month.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I do both - the ice cube trays for when I want just a little stock for a 'pan sauce' for 1 or 2, and larger plastic containers for the soups and stews, and sauces with larger quantities of stock needed.

Tags
None