"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Minestrone soup clarification

Hi, everyone.

I made minestrone soup today, based on this recipe: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/...inestrone-soup

I managed to handle the solid ingredients successfully. I just seek clarification on the liquid component. Is there *no* water used in the mixture? What is the final ratio of water, chopped tomatoes and passata?

What I want to achieve is something like "water that has a tomato flavour, plus the flavour of all the other ingredients".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	28782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	28783  

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	28784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	28785  

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	28786  

Richard Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The 2 liters of vegetable stock is there in place of the water. Stock has more flavor than water.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:20 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The 2 liters of vegetable stock is there in place of the water. Stock has more flavor than water.
Yup, vegi stock is watery enough to count as water.

I don't see any passata in that recipe, just tomato puree, which is British for what North Americans call tomato paste.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:34 AM   #4
Sous Chef

My minestrone is composed of basic vegetables - onion, carrots, celery, then I add as many vegetables as I can put in the pot. Vegetable stock not necessary, just water. In some parts of Italy they do use off cuts of cockerel, legs, neck, head, but the main parts are generally used for main meals - after all, we're talking mains with that. Over here, there are lots of different ways of doing minestrone. Your minestrone can put in tomato passata or not, according to your taste - I've had spectacular minestrone without. I make my minestrone in a heavy pot, I make a 'soffritto' - basic vegetables like onion, celery and carrrot - sweated in Evoo, and thereafter add the other vegetables, that should all be cut more or less to the same size, or to a size that they should all be cooked at the same time.

Happy New Year

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
Master Chef

You could use a can of crushed tomatoes and then add water or stock until you get the consistency you desire...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yup, vegi stock is watery enough to count as water.

I don't see any passata in that recipe, just tomato puree, which is British for what North Americans call tomato paste.
Pasata is widely available over here in the UK (Sainsbury's, ASDA, Aldi, Tesco, Morrissons, the CO-OP, etc., etc.,) but puree is good if you are adding it to veg stock. If you want to use passata instead of veg stock but you haven't got any, you can substitute good quality tinned tomatoes. Just strain them, saving the juice, and push the pieces of tomato through the seive leaving just the seeds behind. A pain in the neck and passata is easier.

If you are using stock cube or the jelly stockpots, be careful with the salt you add because some of them have a lot of salt in them.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Senior Cook

If minestrone is a tomato flavoured vegi soup why not use a can of crushed tomatoes instead of paste? The tomato more or less disintegrates into the broth if you want it brothy anyway?
Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Hi everyone,

I tried again with vegetable stock and tomato passata. This one has carrots, broccoli, potato, rice, penne and pepper. It's brilliant! I can make minestrone now! Thanks for your help!

Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	28809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	28810  

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	28811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	28812  

Richard Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I hope you wrote down what you did so you can have that brilliant soup again.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:18 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
My minestrone is composed of basic vegetables - onion, carrots, celery, then I add as many vegetables as I can put in the pot. Vegetable stock not necessary, just water. In some parts of Italy they do use off cuts of cockerel, legs, neck, head, but the main parts are generally used for main meals - after all, we're talking mains with that. Over here, there are lots of different ways of doing minestrone. Your minestrone can put in tomato passata or not, according to your taste - I've had spectacular minestrone without. I make my minestrone in a heavy pot, I make a 'soffritto' - basic vegetables like onion, celery and carrrot - sweated in Evoo, and thereafter add the other vegetables, that should all be cut more or less to the same size, or to a size that they should all be cooked at the same time.

Happy New Year

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Thanks for that post. I was my impression that the right way to make minestrone depends on who's mother taught you to make it. It seems that a lot of Italian cooking is that way.

CD

“It was curious to think that the sky was the same for everybody, in Eurasia or Eastasia as well as here -- people ignorant of one another’s existence, held apart by walls of hatred and lies, and yet almost exactly the same.” -- George Orwell, 1984
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, passata, soup