Chicken and Slippery Dumplings (or Dutch Pot Pie)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
CHICKEN AND SLIPPERY DUMPLINGS

1 chicken, cooked, skinned and de-boned (cooking instructions below)
1 large onion, chopped
4 large carrots, scraped and cut in 2" pieces
4 stalks celery, scraped and cut in 2" pieces
1 tsp. each poultry seasoning, dried thyme
salt
pepper

How to cook the chicken:
Put chicken in pot along with cut up vegetables, seasonings, and add enough water to cover by 2". Salt and pepper generously.

Bring water to a boil then reduce immediately. Let slowly simmer for 2-3 hours. As it simmers skim off foam that forms on top and around edges. This helps the broth to be nice and clear. When chicken is done remove from pot (shredding instead of chopping), let cool, and remove meat. Keep meat in a separate bowl for right now. Just leave the veggies in the pot; you don't have to remove them at all.

DUMPLINGS:
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 TBS. shortening (Crisco)
sprinkling of thyme
6 TBS hot water (tap is fine)

Sift together 1 cup flour, salt, and thyme in a mixing bowl. Add shortening and mix. Add enough water to make dough soft, but not sticky. Wrap dough in plastic wrap for 15 minutes to rest. Place dough on floured surface and roll very thin. Cut into squares, keeping flour on them.

Heat broth back up to almost boiling and add dumplings. Gently stir constantly at first to keep them from sticking to each other. Keep lid halfway on pot. The flour still on dumplings will help thicken the broth. Cook dumplings for about 10 minutes, add shredded chicken back to pot and re-heat. Just make sure dumplings are cooked all the way through.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused about part of this recipe. The ingredients list 1 cooked chicken, but then in the instructions it says to simmer it until the chicken is done. Can you help?

My dad loves chicken and dumplings, so maybe I'll spring this on him somethime!

Thanks!!

Ps8, the recipe specifies cooked chicken, you cook the chicken first, then when cooled, skin and remove the bones..Then procede with the recipe..Hope this helps...

kadesma:)

ps8 - sorry, I didn't see your post until just now. I went back and revised my recipe. Those were just the instructions on how to cook the chicken so there will be flavorful broth to finish the dish.

Does that make sense now? And yes, in going back and reading it it is confusing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom