Meal in a Pot, or MEAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Meap; This is an alteration of a family favorite coined Ralph by my wife's family when my wife was still a child. The original, in spit of its name, is deliscious. But you know me, can't leave well enough alone.:rolleyes:

MEAP:
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
8 oz. musrooms, sliced or cubed
1 tbs. chicken base
2 carrots sliced
2 cups water
1 cup brown rice

Lightly brown the ground beef. Add the onions, chicken base, carrots, and celery. Cover and cook for ten minutes. Add the water and rice. Stir, bring to a boil, turn heat to simmer, and cook for 40 minutes. Or use 2 cups water and 2 cups instant brown rice bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for ten minutes.

Remove from heat and fluff mixture. Serve with a leafy salad and your favorite dressing.

Made this tonight. Was a big hit.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds good! I used to make something similar but with elbow macaroni instead of the brown rice which would be much healthier! I'll try this soon!

Thanks!

Sounds much like a hot dish I make with wild rice. I use cream of muchroom soup tho. I love making hot dishes and I'm sure getting alot of ideas here. Thanks GW

My mom does a one dish meal like yours, Goodweed - she calls it "hot pot" and it's pretty delicious and nutritious.

Sometimes I've done a one pot meal with chicken pieces on top of brown rice. I got the idea from an Afrikaans friend whose mom used to put it in the oven just before going to church, and by the time the family got home, lunch was ready. I think they called it "Domine Hoender" (Domine is Afrikaans/Dutch for Pastor, I think, and Hoender is Chicken).

This recipe is super easy and very economical:
I measure out about 2 cups of rice into an oven proof baking dish - I happen to have a couple of Corning Ware dishes that are good for this. On top of that I place some wedges of onion, minced garlic and carrots (halved or quartered so that they're still long) then chicken pieces (breasts/thighs, skin side up) on top, maybe a bit more onion & garlic. I seasaon the layers as I go along, usually with salt/pepper/sage - or sometimes, I take one of those little packets of Goya chicken boullion and sprinkle it over the chicken insead of salt. It makes the skin very crispy. I pour water down the side of the dish, and if inspired, maybe a bit of white wine. Bake uncovered until done in a moderately hot oven - 375F - about 1 1/2 hours. -Sandyj

Last edited:
Godweed of the North, MEAP thanks. Added to my collection. Sounds yummy....love brown rice and. Thanks again, Aria

Back
Top Bottom