Which is more common in casseroles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherifffruitfly

Senior Cook
*Cooked* noodles going into the oven, or *uncooked*?

I want to make my first casserole, and while I'm completely comfortable with the throw-any-ol-crap-in-it-you-like idea, I'm a bit stymied on what the state of the noodles should be.

lil help?

casserole-virginally yours,

cdj

If you use fresh pasta, and you have enough sauce or liquid to cover them, then there is no need to cook them.

For dried pasta, cook it half way, where it is a little too much "al dente" for eating. If the estimated cooking time indicated on the package is 10 minutes, drain at about 6-7 minutes. The rest will be done while they are being baked in the oven. If you are using lasagne sheets, some of them are bake-able without precooking, but if they are they should be indicated on the package.

But in either case, make sure to cover the pasta with enough sauce.

Thanks urmaniac!

I'll make sure I cover *noodles* with enough sauce, and will make sure they're still too *hard* when I partially cook em.

{grin}

It varies depending on the recipe. Some I don't cook the pasta at all, others I cook it fully (bigger noodles like penne with hold up well if done this way), and other times I cook them partially. The later is what I'll usually do if I'm just winging a casserole from scratch.

Back
Top Bottom