"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Slow Cookers
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Beef stroganoff is made with fillet steak and cooked in a very few minutes in a sauté pan on top of the stove. Why would you need a slow cooker?
Because his wife has difficulty eating and needs soft foods.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:42 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Beef stroganoff is made with fillet steak and cooked in a very few minutes in a sauté pan on top of the stove. Why would you need a slow cooker?
He already has the cut of beef he wants to use, he's caring for his wife who has ALS and has difficulty eating, and he asked for a slow cooker version of a beef stroganoff type dish. He's also just now learning how to cook, now that his wife is unable to.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Looking for slow cooker beef stroganoff stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
+1. After 6 hours or so in the slow cooker, it will be fall apart tender.

+2. Cook the heck out of it. Nice to brown the cubed meat first, with or without flour, then into the CP, veggies on the bottom if you're using them.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Looking for slow cooker beef stroganoff stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
He already has the cut of beef he wants to use, he's caring for his wife who has ALS and has difficulty eating, and he asked for a slow cooker version of a beef stroganoff type dish. He's also just now learning how to cook, now that his wife is unable to.

And +2 to this too!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,277
I hope he saw my sidebar about pork shoulder, which is perfect for his needs. Especially since he is having a *tough* time (pun intended) with beef.

A braised pork shoulder can be butter soft
__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
I have chicken legs and thighs any good recipes for these?
__________________
nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Looking for slow cooker beef stroganoff stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
I have chicken legs and thighs any good recipes for these?

All sorts of them. Check out the slow cooker thread here, lots of good recipes. Don't cook the heck out of chicken though, just make sure it's done. In a nutshell, I'd skin them, put a sliced onion on the bottom of the CP, along with any celery, carrots, or whatever other veg you want, your chicken, then pour over some sauce. Could be cream of mushroom, cream of something else, salsa, Rotel, canned gravy, anything else you might have. I usually use breast meat, but your legs and thighs should be fine. Cook on low, check after 2-3 hours.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
The dark meat chicken should stay tender enough.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 AM   #19
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
When cooking a chuck roast do you feel that setting the oven at 200 F degrees is OK to roast that?

How about putting it into a pocket of foil warped twice, if doing so would you put all your ingredients into the pocket and roast it in water?
I would think that by doing it this way it would keep all the juices in the meat and it would come out tender and fall apart.
Would it brown in the pocket or would you brown it before putting it in the pocket?
Have you heard of using vinegar to tenderize a chuck roast? Wouldn't it have a flavor of vinegar? I heard that you leave it in vinegar for 8 hours and that brakes down the muscle in the roast. What type of vinegar Apple Cider vinegar or white vinegar?
__________________
nhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
When cooking a chuck roast do you feel that setting the oven at 200 F degrees is OK to roast that?

How about putting it into a pocket of foil warped twice, if doing so would you put all your ingredients into the pocket and roast it in water?
I would think that by doing it this way it would keep all the juices in the meat and it would come out tender and fall apart.
Would it brown in the pocket or would you brown it before putting it in the pocket?
Have you heard of using vinegar to tenderize a chuck roast? Wouldn't it have a flavor of vinegar? I heard that you leave it in vinegar for 8 hours and that brakes down the muscle in the roast. What type of vinegar Apple Cider vinegar or white vinegar?

200 is too low.

Roasting means cooking in the oven using dry heat. It's best for lean meat and tender cuts.

Braising means cooking in a closed container with liquid. That's what a crockpot does. Braising makes tough cuts of meat like chuck tender

Don't wrap meat in foil and cook in liquid. If you want to braise your meat, do it in the crockpot or in the oven using a pot with a tightly fitting lid and some liquid (broth, wine, soup, etc)

Meat won't brown in a pocket.

It's always best to brown your meat before putting it in a crockpot or braising it in th oven.

Soaking meat in straight vinegar will make it tough, not tender. Plus it will taste like, well, vinegar. Don't do it.

And think about the pork shoulder.

Like I said before, I've been in your shoes. God Bless you.
__________________

__________________
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef, cook, slow cooker, stew

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.