"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi Ro3bert.

We're glad to have you and I'm certain you will receive many useful tips to broaden your skills.

As per the crock-pot, I have been a good friend of said appliance since I bought my first one in 1974. It's been a long and fruitful relationship.

In 1994 I moved to a home in Kentucky that was built in 1880 and DID NOT have air-conditioning. The region in which I lived was quite hot and steamy in the summertime months, so heating up a kitchen for anything was less than exciting.

So, one June, I decided to conduct an experiment. I set to cook every evening meal for the month in our crock-pot...and outside on the screened-in porch. Still leery to heat up the house for even the slightest purpose.

I was amazed to discover that it was more than easy to achieve my goal and my husband and I enjoyed many nutritious and tasty meals for that month. Piece 'o cake.

One of the joys of using a crock-pot is that the prep work can be done, such as chopping veggies, etc., ahead of time, then dumping everything into the handy-dandy cooker.

That hot June was a (cool) breeze when it came to our evening meals.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome, Robert. I am also a co-primary caregiver for my Mom (dementia, stroke, non-ambulatory). She has a hard time using a fork, so I make lot of things she can eat with her fingers. I use the pressure cooker. I also cook things she used to make. I am not cooking as complex foods as I would like. Mom's tastes have really changed. No tomato based dishes (except pizza). You learn as you go.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Robert, Welcome to D.C.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:15 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi,
This is Ellen Taylor, Welcome me guys :)
Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 AM   #15
Head Chef

Welcome to DC, Ellen Taylor...

Ross
Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 AM   #16
Master Chef

Welcome, Ro3bert. The more you poke around here, the more you'll find that many of us are either caregivers or old enough for Medicare. I hope we can help you find recipes that involve little work, or that use your slow cooker efficiently.

BTW, your avatar made me think of Ian Anderson. Tull fan, perhaps?

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Welcome, Robert. You have your hands full. I am amazed at the number of people that shared with you since you posted who are full-time care givers. I have nothing but admiration for all of you.

Crock pot cooking is not hard, and the basics include just meat and seasoning. Veggies can be added with the meat if desired, and done that way, do not tend to overcook. That is the magic of that pot. An old standby for me was to pop a handful of chopped onions in the bottom of the pot, put a whole chicken in, then pour a can of diced seasoned tomatoes over the bird. After 8-10 hours you have a bird and some sauce that pairs well with pasta if desired. Not a lot of sauce though. Add more tomatoes if you want more sauce.

The meats in the pot do not have to be covered with fluids. If it concerns you, the trick to keeping the heat in with the food is to cover the top of the food with a sheet of aluminum foil. Then put the lid on the pot. This keeps the heat and the moisture contained. I cooked baked beans yesterday in my pot and used that trick. The results made me happy.

Happy cooking.

Tags
other