"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Greg I am so happy and excited for you. I hope you got the daylight bulbs. They shine much brighter. Or maybe I am confusing them with the squiggly ones. Which is what I have. Great deal on the fridge. A lot less expensive than buying a new one. You came out the winner on that deal. I wish I could be there for your house warming. I am not surprised at puppy's reaction to being left alone in a new environment. Old folks like puppy and me. don't like change. It takes time for us to adjust and accept. But I have the feeling once puppy is out in that grass just relaxing, you will see a really happy companion. Just don't cut the grass too short. It encourages the weeds to come up. And there is nothing like the feeling on cool grass on bare feet.

I wish you all the luck in the world in your new home. Just to let you know how happy I am for you, I have had a smile on my face the whole time I have been working on this missive.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #32
Senior Cook

I think the camper we have now is either 32 or 34 feet. It even had a washer and dryer in it but since its parked on family land and right next to a tree farm we are on 100's of acres with no one around. The hubby's uncle had a few trailers there when he was younger so we have running water and electric. Uncle George put up a huge enclosed pavilion where we have monthly picnics. There's also an outhouse but I don't have to use it. We removed the washer and dryer since we are close by some family members so if need be, we can use theirs.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #33
Head Chef

Hey, happy new home owner -- you'd better have an abundance of virtual food at your party. All of us DCers will be there to help you celebrate your good fortune/success -- happy results of your sacrifice, moxy, and just plain hard work. Travel arrangements courtesy of ... magic. (See the coffee klatsch thread for a fine example of virtual visiting.) Just as there's no crying in baseball, there are no flight delays or cancellations in virtual travel.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Addie, I'm still having trouble deciding on which bulbs to get. I tried some 5000K and they were way too harsh. I put 2700K in the stairway and it looks good, put 3000K in my table lamp and it looks good too. 5500K seems to be the gold standard in photography (and I *WANT* a good 5500K photo lighting set for my photography) but the 5000K looked really bad in my house. Since the table lamp looks good at 3000K I'm thinking of going with 3000K all over the house. I went to Lowe's and bought a half dozen of each (2700K, 3000K) and will decide in the next few days which to go with, but I'm thinking 3000K. (I think the 5500K is the closest to real daylight.)

Ahoy, I just got tired of the trailer. I spent most of the day there cleaning it up, and another hour or two cleaning will make it almost pristine. Then it goes on the block. I'm thinking of maybe buying a really small trailer now.

Lizzie, I think I'm just plain lucky. I've been house hunting for a year and a half. Three weeks ago I was living in a RV, today I'm living in my house and gussying up that RV to sell it. I have a bit more than 5x the square feet, 3BR vs 1BR, and a very nice lot by L.A. standards.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I have a huge pop up for sale ;)

I think we may have found the one we want. There's 4 that we like, one even have a kitchen island in it but I don't think I want to spend quite that much on it. I wanted to wait a year or so to get a new one but the hubby wants it sooner so who knows.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Addie, I'm still having trouble deciding on which bulbs to get. I tried some 5000K and they were way too harsh. I put 2700K in the stairway and it looks good, put 3000K in my table lamp and it looks good too. 5500K seems to be the gold standard in photography (and I *WANT* a good 5500K photo lighting set for my photography) but the 5000K looked really bad in my house. Since the table lamp looks good at 3000K I'm thinking of going with 3000K all over the house. I went to Lowe's and bought a half dozen of each (2700K, 3000K) and will decide in the next few days which to go with, but I'm thinking 3000K. (I think the 5500K is the closest to real daylight.)

Ahoy, I just got tired of the trailer. I spent most of the day there cleaning it up, and another hour or two cleaning will make it almost pristine. Then it goes on the block. I'm thinking of maybe buying a really small trailer now.

Lizzie, I think I'm just plain lucky. I've been house hunting for a year and a half. Three weeks ago I was living in a RV, today I'm living in my house and gussying up that RV to sell it. I have a bit more than 5x the square feet, 3BR vs 1BR, and a very nice lot by L.A. standards.
Greg a friend who was remodeling her kitchen told me it is the little things that cost so dang much and no one notices them. She was looking at wall corner protectors. (small kids) She wanted to go with the real nice ones. But couldn't justify spending so much on them. And no one will come into her home and admire them. "Oh, what beautiful corner protectors you have." They will envy her counter tops, but never ask where she got the corner protectors. They will sit for hours with a cup of coffee admiring her stove and appliances. But they will never ask where she got those protectors. Let me know if anyone asks about those light bulbs. They may not notice, but you know you have what you want.

She finally decided to go with the mid priced ones. About a year later I asked her if she had inquiries about them. She started to laugh. She didn't think I would remember them. And she thanked me for remembering them. I was the only one who ever said anything about them.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #37
Master Chef

I'm so happy for you Greg and thanks for catching us up to speed about how the move has been going. You mentioned you're looking to rent some furniture but keep your eyes out at Craig's List, as we gave away a house full of nice furniture there when we combined our two large households into one. We got a lot of pleasure in not selling it, and some of the people who came to get it couldn't believe we were just giving nice stuff away. Our grown kids got first pick, but strangers took the rest.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I have a huge pop up for sale ;)

I think we may have found the one we want. There's 4 that we like, one even have a kitchen island in it but I don't think I want to spend quite that much on it. I wanted to wait a year or so to get a new one but the hubby wants it sooner so who knows.
I visited Camping World and they told me my 32' 5th wheel was worth about $13K as a trade in, or even same as consignment except they have too much stock right now. They didn't have much stock in small sliders. I like a place in Simi Valley and last time I visited them for service I was blown away about all the stuff little sliders have. I expect to visit them very soon to get a second opinion on the value, and see if they still have all those cute little sliders I liked. At the time I saw them 2 years ago I thought I would like my 5th wheel, but now I'm glad I spent my waiting time checking out the new units.

I've been camping too long to give it up. My family camped from my tweens through college, and I joined my parents from time to time after that. Got sidelined with my career and chasing chicks in the '70s, then back to tent camping in the early '80s and through about 2010 when senior citizenship set in and I just got tired of loading/unloading loading/unloading my 4x4 for setting up camp. (But I did camp at some astonishing, amazing sites!) I thought the 32' 5th wheel would be great... but I was wrong. I was skeert driving down I-40 and the 18-wheelers tear up the right lane and the gummint doesn't keep up the highway. One trip from Los Angeles to Santa Fe to Los Angeles...

I might as well recognize that I have the camping gene and that I need a small trailer to pull behind my 4x4 SUV. Perhaps later this summer I'll get one.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Greg a friend who was remodeling her kitchen told me it is the little things that cost so dang much and no one notices them. She was looking at wall corner protectors. (small kids) She wanted to go with the real nice ones. But couldn't justify spending so much on them. And no one will come into her home and admire them. "Oh, what beautiful corner protectors you have." They will envy her counter tops, but never ask where she got the corner protectors. They will sit for hours with a cup of coffee admiring her stove and appliances. But they will never ask where she got those protectors. Let me know if anyone asks about those light bulbs. They may not notice, but you know you have what you want.

She finally decided to go with the mid priced ones. About a year later I asked her if she had inquiries about them. She started to laugh. She didn't think I would remember them. And she thanked me for remembering them. I was the only one who ever said anything about them.
I just "bought in" to the idea of LEDs. Based upon my career experience and BSEE degree from UCLA, I believe that the total cost of ownership for LED lighting makes it the cheapest, most reliable form of lighting. TCO calculations included purchase price, cost of replacement, expected lifetime and energy usage. When you factor all that in I believe that LED lighting is the cheapest (and "bestest") form of lighting.

My new home is already at least 90% LED lighted. I expect them all (or mostly) to keep functioning to at least 2034. I've found that light bulb, CFL and LED lifetimes are rated conservatively. I think it's quite possible that after my lighting conversion is done I may not need to purchase a "light bulb" (or equivalent unit) ever again, except for new lamps etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm so happy for you Greg and thanks for catching us up to speed about how the move has been going. You mentioned you're looking to rent some furniture but keep your eyes out at Craig's List, as we gave away a house full of nice furniture there when we combined our two large households into one. We got a lot of pleasure in not selling it, and some of the people who came to get it couldn't believe we were just giving nice stuff away. Our grown kids got first pick, but strangers took the rest.
Thanks Kay. I checked out rentals and the cost is ridiculous. I've been doing really good with "think on your feet at the moment and make an executive decision within 15 minutes" and I think I can probably just visit a few stores and decide and get the stuff delivered next day.

Give me a week and I'll probably have reached my new steady state. And then there's the grills and smokers to purchase!