Cooking While on Sabbatical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Girl49

Cook
Hi, all. Excited to be here. Am on a multi-month break from employment and am getting to play in my kitchen for really the first time in my adult life. Up 'til now, it's been quick meals and very little creativity.

I am SO enjoying cooking for my husband, reading lots of recipes, and thinking about food almost nonstop. I've learned just in the past two months that cooking is one of those things that, to get a good feel and some confidence, you just have to do it a lot.

My enthusiasm far exceeds my skill, so I need insight and tips. Am all over the map making poultry (roast chicken - yum), meats, fish, veggies (love those garlicky collards), desserts, beans and legumes, whole-grain baking (cornbread rules), and much more.

Home cooking has enormous potential for being fun and satisfying in ways I never imagined during my career so far as a communicator in a big finance company. For now, leaving fixed-income securities behind and picking up some mackeral. YAY!! :chef:

My grandmother and great aunt are looking down from their kitchens in heaven, appalled that at age 49 I don't know how to cut up a whole chicken....o:)

Last edited:
welcome, girlie.

fixed income securities? how boring. give me a mackerel anyday. just rub with grapeseed oil, sprinkle with s&p, and grill. yummo.

and don't worry. cutting up a chicken is easier than calculating a amort schedule.

Last edited:
welcome, girlie.

fixed income securities? how boring. give me a mackerel anyday. just rub with grapeseed oil, sprinkle with s&p, and grill. yummo.

and don't worry. cutting up a chicken is easier than calculating a amort schedule.

It's also easier than trying to figure out Medicare Rules.

Enjoy your cooking month. I bet your relatives are looking down from heaven to help you out.

I have to laugh at this one. Last month hubby and I went to visit my parents. My mom asked me what I was going to cook when I was there, and I responded whatever she wants. Then when we arrived, Dad asked my husband what great food was I going to cook for him. Husband replied, "Claire usually makes truly lousy food, but I think she'll make something really delicious just for you!" I really don't remember what I made; I cooked every meal we ate there. If I do say so myself, it was yummy.

Back
Top Bottom