"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Just experiment with herbs and spices. There are standard combinations but they're not all to everyones taste.

Fabiabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Welcome to DC, Wheaton. I like tarragon especially in sandwich salads: Egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Wheaton--Tarragon has a licorice taste (similar to anise/fennel). I have a friend who hates all of the herbs that have a licorice taste. I like it. I grow French Tarragon. I like it in zucchini slaw:

Recipe Details

I like it on eggs, seafood, mixed with creamed cheese served on crackers, tarragon chicken, in place of dill for marinated cucumbers. I use it fresh, but you can use it dried.
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Welcome to Discuss Cooking!!!

Bear in mind that most of the "fresh clipped" ideas can be done in a window container inside the house {on the cheap} for year round usage, the exception would be rosemary as it is very hardy and grows large and well in most temperal climates. As far as combinations with foods, some are standard {tomato/basil - tarragon/eggs, fish - sage/chicken and so on}

However I am of the mindset, "if it tastes good..do it" When reviewing a new recipe to try, if all the flavors appeal to you, the chances are you will like the end product. When experimenting with a new inventive off the cuff dish, add small amounts of your desired herb or spice, keeping in mind.....you can always add more, but it is not so easy to take it out.

Remember..........Play with your food!
Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Thank you!

I appreciate all of the advice everyone here has provided to me on herbs and spices in cooking. I will love trying all the spices and herbs and I will just experiment according to "taste"!! Thanks everyone!
None are as fiercely loyal as dog people.
Wheaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
Sous Chef
You specifically mentioned that you love fresh basil: this recipe uses a lot of it, and could be frozen before you add the cream and the diced tomatoes (add those after you thaw it to use it).

Creamy tomato basil soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
3 lb tomatoes peeled, cored, and quartered,
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes, or equivalent fresh diced tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh, chopped basil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 quart chicken stock
16 oz heavy cream
Basil sprigs for garnish (optional)

Sauté onion with olive oil until tender, add quartered tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, salt and pepper, and simmer for 15 minutes. Transfer to blender, or use immersion blender until smooth. Add diced tomatoes, and heavy cream, return to boil, garnish with sprig of basil

You can also get "fresh" basil, garlic, or ginger in a tube in the produce section of the grocery store. Maybe not as good as actual fresh, but much better than dried, and it lasts longer.

Skittle68 is offline   Reply With Quote