Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueRibbonWinner

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

I'm 24 years old and recently completed my MA in England. I've lived and traveled all over Europe and the Middle East. As a student in England, I soon discovered all I really want to do is cook and bake--completely unrelated to either of my degrees.:( Unfortunately I guess that happens when you're young?:ohmy:

I started entering baking contests during my first year of undergrad (and won!). I've also won a :pig: calling contest. :LOL: (Granted there were no actual :pig:'s ...it was more of an improv skit, but good fun nonetheless!)

Anyway, I currently live about 2 hours from Washington DC, but plan on moving to Arlington, VA in the next month or so. I'm also toying with culinary school in France in 2008...if I get enough of my college loans paid off :rolleyes:.

I'm happy to be a part of this web-community! :chef:

Welcome. It sounds like culinary school is next! LOL Nothing like being well-rounded (which you will become if you keep baking :mrgreen:)

Hi Blue,
Welcome to DC. I hope you enjoy it here so much that you become one of the regulars, so we can all follow you and your dream of culinary school in France..Good luck to you.
kadesma:)

Hi, BRW. Welcome to DC. You sound ambitious and that you've found something you love. The best job is the one you "love" to do.

When you move to Arlington, VA, you'll be near where Buck and I lived for 30 years. Incredible area. Lots to see and do and tons of wonderful food. Enjoy!

Enjoy DiscussCooking, too. We're glad you've found us.

Hello and welcome!

You mentioned a pig calling contest which reminded me of a funny incident. I went to a local BBQ contest in the area a few years back, and they had a pig calling contest (no pigs there either). The winner was something of a shock, but was too hilarious not to win.

Each contestant took the stage one at a time to make their best calls. One after another, from small child to senior citizen, they came. Then, a policeman in full uniform took the stage. Everyone got real quiet as he took the mike, naturally some were wondering if he was competing of if he had an announcement.

He looked around, cleared his throat, and in a deep voice said “9-1-1”. Everyone burst out laughing and cheered loudly.....he was the crowd favorite and won the “pig” calling contest!:ROFLMAO:

Thank you all for your kind welcomes. I do look forward to becoming a regular on here and look very forward to sharing just how "well-rounded" I become! :LOL:

A very funny story Keltin! Thanks for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom