"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello everybody

Hi everyone, I've been cooking for a long time and seem to have trouble using up ingredients in my fridge and cupboard which drives me nuts!

So as part of my MBA, I'm planning to create a website to help reduce food waste - I know, another cooking website - just what the world needs!

I'm registering here in the hope that when the time comes, you'll all be able to help me out by completing a short questionnaire. I've not created it yet but assuming you're all keen cooks , I've hopefully come to the right place!

Old 09-04-2017, 06:33 AM   #2
Master Chef

Welcome to DC.

You'll find that just about everyone here already does the "clean out fridge/freezer thing. There are several threads devoted to it such as "I have these ingredients"......

Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #3
Head Chef

Hello, and welcome to DC! Interested to see what the upcoming web site will look like, and how easy it will be to use.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thank you. There's a long way to go and the starting point for me is a lot of research! I'm hoping that I can find a way of differentiating it from every other cooking website with the ability to use a specific quantity of an ingredient - I'll certainly be seeking this community's help along the way :-)

Are most of the users here American?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-wasting-food View Post
Are most of the users here American?
I would say American and Canadian. A lot of us are into other cultural/ethnic cuisines, including regional variations. The US, like many countries, has regional cuisines, which came to us from the many immigrants coming here throughout our history. Many adapting our available products to their recipes.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

As Craig said, we're mostly Americans and Canadians but we also have European and African members. In the past we've had active members from Asian locations as well. Not sure how active they are currently.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

welcome
Old 09-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
I'm hoping that I can find a way of differentiating it from every other cooking website with the ability to use a specific quantity of an ingredient

How so?
Old 09-06-2017, 06:59 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
How so?
Perhaps you can help me with that

I'm hoping to do something that allows you to sort by an ingredient to help use up leftovers. For example, having 150g chicken - it's straightforward enough to find a recipe that needs this amount. But there might be a recipe you prefer that only needs 140g or 160g which you might miss with a traditional search. You'll probably tell me about a site which already does this now!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Perhaps you can help me with that

I'm hoping to do something that allows you to sort by an ingredient to help use up leftovers. For example, having 150g chicken - it's straightforward enough to find a recipe that needs this amount. But there might be a recipe you prefer that only needs 140g or 160g which you might miss with a traditional search. You'll probably tell me about a site which already does this now!
If I use a recipe, why would I not just adjust it to what I have on hand instead of being limited to a recipe for a specific amount? Say I use what you propose, how do you deal with an ingredient in your recipe that I may not have on hand? Will a substitute be recommended?

I think you will find that most of us, that have experience, don't need a recipe to throw something together with what leftovers we have. It may be just the addition of a side to what leftover meal we have or actually creating something new with it. I think what you are trying to create would benefit new cooks more so than many of our members.

« New member | Hello! »