"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello! FL newbie here...

Hello forum!

I'm from Florida and am married (16 years) to a wonderful hubby and have 2 awesome boys (14 and 12). We are currently in a hotel suite in New Mexico, however, for my hubby's job. It's a 3 month stretch and we have about 2 weeks left.

While here in NM I discovered Marshall's! I just bought 3 pieces of All-Clad (an omelet pan, an 8 inch fry pan, and a huge stock pot), a huge Cuisinart enameled cast iron pot, a few Le Creuset loaf pans, some Chantal bakeware and tea kettle, a bamboo cutting board, and a few various other things - all for a killer price. This is huge for me because I've always had "Cheapware" and am now ready to COOK! I'm also in the market for A Few Good Knives. I'm leaning toward either Shun or Tojiro.

So, I found you guys while searching for info about my lovely new pieces. I plan on picking your collective brains about how to use and care for them.

Looking forward to it!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC My Cuppa Tea,
glad you joined us. There are many recipes and really wonderful people here to meet. We have a topic on cookware, so join in and share with us.
kadesma

Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Wow, My Cuppa Tea, you had a blast at Marshall's. Did you leave anything for anyone else?

Stick around and browse our different forums and you will discover tons and tons of information on all aspects of cooking and cookware. Hope you decide to become part of our Internet family. We're glad you've found us.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
Head Chef

Good to meet you Miss Cuppa Tea! Enjoy DC.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
Head Chef

Cuppa tea welcome to our site. You will find a lot of very good information here just ask
and some body will help you out. now about knives I will draw a bunch of fire for this but I have a very good set of Japanese knives I have had for years. They are ugly and would not be at home on a carving station but mine have stayed sharp forever. I would not trade them for the best set of knives out of Germany so ;look around and check before you spend a great deal of just so so knives.. I am a retired excecutive Chef and my knives are my bread and butter Dave
Old 11-08-2007, 04:16 AM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome, Cuppa. You've probably already figured out that this a great site. You're gonna love it.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Biggest thing is quality and feel

Hi Cuppa ... love the name!

I have a couple of brands I use but, my "tried and true" are German ... one of which, a 10" Chef, is now 21 years old and still going strong! A good quality knife is an investment ... one which should last for many years.

For me, the most important factor is how the knife feels when using it. Is it comfortable? A good weight? Sturdy? Good grip? Won't cause fatigue? When buying a knife, go to a store where they will let you "test drive" their knives ... usually a cooking store or department store with a cooking area. This is how you can find the right fit. You can then go on-line and find them at lower prices through cooking supply stores or catalogs.

Another important thing is that you don't need a lot of knives. A Chefs knife or Santoku knife (for chopping, mincing, dicing, cutting ...), a couple of paring knives (for peeling and garnish work), and a good set of kitchen shears are the essentials and will take care of just about anything needed in the home kitchen.

Good luck and have fun!!