"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello there!

Hi everyone. I just stumbled on this site by searching for food dehydration ideas. With the price of food these days I am getting into preserving some things before the prices move higher.
I have to admit that I have not explored this forum as yet but what I have seen so far deserves my thumbs up. I will most likely spend the rest of this day exploring.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! There are lots of folks who dehydrate foods on this forum. Enjoy!

Old 04-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. This is a fun place to be. You will find that we all are very friendly and will offer help at the drop of a spoonful of sugar.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC. I have thought about getting a food dehydrator but haven't done it yet. It will be fun to hear what you are dehydrating.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Master Chef

Welcome nana! FWIW our son has made some terrific beef jerky using our inexpensive food dehydrator. But wholesome fruits and veggies are good things to dry too. Just sayin'...
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #7
Head Chef

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130410_221753.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	17668
Old 04-11-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

wow... thank you for all the welcomes. I don't have an expensive dehydrator. The one that I am using has been on my shelf so long it collected dust on the box. I actually gave it to my mother for Christmas one year for use in drying flowers. I really am not sure if she ever used it. In the past I used it for onions. thats it...onions. now I want more... today I did some celery. tomorrow sweet potatoes. Its kind of my play time exercise. I will learn as I go and I am pretty darn sure that this forum is going to help me out quite a bit. I also ordered a food saver vacuum machine along with the attachment for sealing jars. I am tired of throwing away food because of freezer burn or going stale. I have a lot of questions and you all might get sick of seeing me on here. LOL Hugs to all.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
Master Chef

My SIL has a vacuum food saver. Bought it when they lived in FL to keep the creepy crawlies out of her dry goods. Even though she lives near me in MA she still uses it all the time. She claims the food tastes like its never been frozen. I just plan most meals around the store's loss leaders each week and have very few meats in my freezer.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
Head Chef

I found this Nana,

Even if you may not be skilled in the workshop you might know someone who can build you a dehydrator.

And thank you for sparking in me a new interest.

:)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...hydrator+plans

« New cook | Hey »