Mead has been around for ages and is one of my personal faves.
I might be missing something, but the only references I have read of involving botulism and honey, also involve infants. Infants(children under 12 months) should not be fed raw honey, but with adults there is hardly a risk:
Infant botulism and honey - MayoClinic.com
Honey has natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties though, and never expires. Mead is a drink of the ages. And honey is yet another of natures wonder drugs, imo.
I am not sure of making mead or any honey booze, does it involve boiling?
RJ, Where are you man?