"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Senior Cook

n00b in Northern VA

Greetings! My name is Matt, I'm 24 going on 7 (huge fan of Spongebob), and I'm currently living with my fiancee (wife starting April 5th!). We eat out way too often, mainly because we've been too lazy to cook. But lately something weird has been happening in the kitchen.

I've been in it...COOKING.

But that's not the weird part! Are you ready for the weird part? Ok...here it goes...

I've been...ENJOYING IT!

I make extremely basic dishes like enchiladas with just beans or beef with cheese. Nothing special there. I make pasta frequently, boiling water isn't too much of a challenge for me - I think I have that one down to an art.

Every now and then I'll get a little bit more complicated. I can make a Cajun Chicken Pasta - penne pasta with alfredo sauce (canned, I don't make it from scratch yet), and chicken cooked with a cajun seasoning I make by throwing a bunch of spices together. This is NOT an art - I have issues with getting the right ratio of chicken-to-seasoning. Last time I made it I had waaaay too much of the seasoning. It tasted great, but it was too strong. It's a work in progress.

Last night I made a mesquite maranade for some chicken with a side of pasta and garlic toast. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO boy was it YUMMY! I was so proud of myself! Which leads me into why I am here!

I DO enjoy cooking! I take pride in spending time in the kitchen and making something good to eat for myself and my fiancee. I enjoy knowing she can come home from work and relax while I cook. She deserves it. The only problem is that I suck at cooking. So I am here.

I found DC by searching google for "cooking forums". Forums are by far the best resource and training tool (besides actual practice).

I hope to find a lot of recipes to try out, tips and advice on different cooking methods, different tools to use, etc. Right now I have the very basics, so I'm quite limited. I also wish to eat healthier. "Vegatable" is a bad word in my vocabulary. I'm not obese by any means, but if I keep up my current way of eating, I will be. So "vegetable" needs to be a word that brings a smile to my face, not choking noises. I'm also tired very often, and I attribute that to a poor diet and lack of exercise.

Getting off my butt and into the kitchen seems like a great way to start! I can enjoy a new hobby and become healthier in the process!

Me -

Everyone else here, and hopefully me in a few months -

As a side, I enjoy astronomy, aviation/space flight, drums, reading, and ice hockey (C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!).

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site. I am sure you will find everything you are looking for and more here.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Welcome to DC, nice to have you join us - enjoy !
Old 03-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Welcome to DC. And your statement
Quote:
24 going on 7
...do guys really have to state that in writing?

You can't tell me I'm the ONLY one that thought of that!

Isn't cooking fun? Alfredo is EASY from scratch - just make it! You already know how to use Google so go for it! It's so much better than the jarred stuff! I love talking food so this summer when produce is at it's peak there's lots of things that are perfect, light dinners.

LOL on the choking noises when the word vegetable is mentioned. Try roasting them in the oven. A quick toss in some olive oil, kosher salt (you must get some if you don't use it already), and roasting in a 375 degree oven. I have turned broccoli haters into LOVING it! Same goes for Brussels sprouts. Cut fresh ones in half, toss with olive oil, kosher salt, drizzle with a bit of reduced balsamic - roast away - they are awesome!

All cooking is is reading a recipe and following it. It doesn't have to be hard. The thing is that what we have always thought was a simple recipe can be time-consuming but oh, so worth it!!!! Hope to see you all over these boards!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome to the DC family!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone!

Kitchenelf - no, I suppose I didn't have to put it in writing. But I'm 24 going on 7...and darn proud of it! :D

And you make it sound so easy! You say "drizzle with a bit of reduced balsamic" the same way you'd say "put one foot in front of another to walk". I have a hard time getting amounts correct by guessing. Drizzling reduced balsamic will result in either of these two outcomes: too much or too little. And what the heck is reduced balsamic anyway? :O Balsamic that's on sale at the grocery store? ;)
Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmac View Post
Thanks everyone!

Kitchenelf - no, I suppose I didn't have to put it in writing. But I'm 24 going on 7...and darn proud of it! :D

And you make it sound so easy! You say "drizzle with a bit of reduced balsamic" the same way you'd say "put one foot in front of another to walk". I have a hard time getting amounts correct by guessing. Drizzling reduced balsamic will result in either of these two outcomes: too much or too little. And what the heck is reduced balsamic anyway? :O Balsamic that's on sale at the grocery store? ;)
LOLOL on the "reduced" balsamic! Put about 1/2 cup of balsamic in a small pot (if you have a butter warmer for the stove that will work). Turn it on medium heat and when it starts to get thick (but not too thick) remove it. It should coat the back of a spoon, you should be able to swipe your finger across it and it leave a "track". Poof - You have reduced balsamic. It's VERY good - it turns sweeter. It's good drizzled on a salad too. It is easy - it's just a matter of doing it. If you get it too thick it will stick to your back teeth like candy!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

mattmac, balsamic is balsamic vinegar.

do you have the secret recipe for crabby patties? i wonder if a little balsamic vinegar would make them taste good?

welcome to dc.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Hey Matt, welcome to DC!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Bienvenue, matt. You will be amazed by what you learn here. You already have the enthusiasm, so you are halfway there.