Namaste from Nepal! I need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herojig

Assistant Cook
Hi all, Jigs here and first time caller. As you might have heard, there is a shortage of cooking fuel (LPG) here at the moment, so I had to go out and buy a new-fangled Samsung "Smart" Oven (MC28H5013AK), a microwave with Grill, Convection & Micro modes.

Unfortunately, this oven is smarter than I am , and I have no clue on how to use it. For example, the manual seems to imply that in Combi mode I can use the included metal rack...wha?...but on other pages in the manual it implies that anytime a micro mode is used, metal is a no-no.

So many questions, not sure if I am supposed to post them all here, or under Appliances...For example, on another similar model there was an air-fry feature, and that device came with the racks plus some sort of enameled plate. If I could just find one of those plates (something constructed of the same material), could I fry a bit of food as well without oil? Or does the fry button on the expensive model unleash some magic fry technology?

Oh, and here is another one: there are places in the manual where it talks about using aluminum foil, but not too much and not near the edges? Wha again.

I'm starting to wish I could just go back to my old Nepali clay stove, but the trees are all long gone, just like fresh LPG canisters. About the only thing we have left is electricity, but just for half the day.

Thanks, and Cheers!
Jigs

Last edited:
Welcome to DC Jigs. I hope someone can help with some of those questions, but there is a good chance that someone here will know something.

Most newer microwaves can handle a bit of metal. As I understand it, the two main problems with metal in the MW are that the waves don't pass through metal and with metal there can be arcing. I have followed the instructions in a MW manual and used aluminium foil to keep the wing tips of chicken from cooking while defrosting.

First of all, you need to read and understand everything in the owners manual. If it says you HAVE to do something, do it! If it says not to do something, for Buddha's sake don't do it!

I have seen this type of oven before, but have never owned one. I can tell you for a fact that the microwave part of the function is adjusted at the factory so that there will be no adverse reaction with the metal rack. The first microwave oven I ever used, way back in 1968 or 69, had a metal rack permanently installed in it. It also cost around $1500.00 American!

Also, minute amounts of aluminium foil can be used when near the center of the oven, but will spark if too close to the top, bottom, or side walls, from which the microwaves emanate. I have inadvertently heated a bag of rolls fastened with a plastic covered wire twist tie for a short time (15 to 20 seconds) with no adverse effects, and no sparking, but it really did get ripping hot! Okay that covers the microwave part.

The other part of the unit is a convection oven, which operates like a normal electric oven with electric heating coils and a fan that evenly distributes the heat for faster, more accurate cooking. The convection oven can be used for baking, roasting and broiling, and can also follow the use of the microwave oven in order to brown whatever you heated in the microwave.

Like I said, RTFM several times, and you will begin to understand all the great things you can do with this little marvel. It won't replace your regular stove and oven, but I think it's more versatile than, lets say, a solar oven or a camping stove.

Bon Appétit!

Last edited:
I have a similar appliance and really should get more comfortable with its options. From what I've done so far, though, everything SLoB said is correct, except that my oven uses infrared for the convection part and not electric coils.

Even in the older microwave where I used to work, I often heated food in a small bowl rimmed with metal. I covered the bowl and all the metal with paper towels with no sparking. I think the waves have to hit the metal directly in order to spark.

So, yes, read the manual and practice :)

Back
Top Bottom