"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
Welcome! I know you will love it here...I am your average (well maybe not so average) 13.5 year old baker/chef

Old 04-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Glad you found us Brian. Welcome.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Brian,
Glad your here. Hope you enjoy visiting with us.
kadesma
Old 04-25-2005, 07:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianschef
Hello, just getting familiar with you all...we are stationed in England for another year and I run a home based catering service out of my kitchen. I am always looking for new things to serve my clients...
Welcome Brianschef,

What part of England are "we" stationed in? I used to do catering at one time, not my own business though. What type of clients to you cater towards? (business, residential, parties? all the above ) My husband is originally from the UK so thats why I have an interest in your location Where are you originally from? How do you like living there? England is a lovely place, except for the rain, but oh well
Old 04-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Welcome! I know you will love it here...I am your average (well maybe not so average) 13.5 year old baker/chef
Wow, your very young to be a baker My chefs hat off to you! My nephew loves baking too, mostly pies, and is now cooking for a restaurant in charge of grilling.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:09 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone..my husband is a Civil Engineer with the DoDAF, we just arrived in England(Littleport)about 6 months ago. We spent 3 years in Germany. I cater out of my home to a small clientele. I basically cook meals for them for 1 week, but do special orders and have special goodies on sale at pick up time. I set my own menu and prices and the clients choose from that. In Germany I had a client base of 31 every week, here I have 4, but have just gotten started.
I also cook, can and bake for those stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan and ship once a week. So I am always looking for great recipes that can handle extreme heat, cold and travel.
During the "seasons", I can, dehydrate, freeze, smoke, grill, etc. I then sell these items off an updated list according to the seasons. My latest fancy is pickling! I am pickling everything, HA!! I love to make summer veggie and fruit trays that are not the old standard celery and carrot sticks with ranch dip. I like to have fire balls, sweet 'n sour pineapple sticks, pickled apple slices, sugared jalapeno's, etc.
I have spent the last 8 years writing and rewriting a cookbook....I am still working on that.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Wow. It sounds like your a very busy person. If you have time in between everything you do could you post the sweet 'n sour pineapple recipe? I'd love to try that!
Old 05-02-2005, 07:09 AM   #18
Senior Cook

pdswife1~ sorry this has taken me so long to post, have been under the weather...

Sweet 'n Sour Pineapple

2 large sweet pineapples
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup 5% acid white vinegar
10 whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon

* Cut pineapple into spears that will fit into a 1 pint jar standing up. Make sure you remove the cores.
* Combine the pineapple, sugar, water and vinegar in 4-quart kettle; add cloves and cinnamon stick(tied into a cheesecloth bag). Bring to a boil; simmer uncovered 30 minutes. Remove the spice bag.
* Ladle pineapple into 3 hot pint jars. Cover with the cooking syrup, filling to within 1/4" of jar top. Wipe jar rim; adjust lids.
* Process in boiling water bath 20 minutes. Makes 3 pints.

I use the sweetest pineapple I can find and then I drop 1 -2 drops of red food coloring into the jar every now and then. Serve these icy cold at a bbq.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Welcome Brian. Hope you'll be sharing some more recipes & chat with us.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #20
Master Chef

Welcome aboard, Brianschef. You'll love it here!!