"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Welcome kmarlec, from a former resident of Crowley, TX, now residing in the great northwest.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC!!

[Fisher's Mom: A hippo?!! I take it this was in your vet days... my mind is boggling otherwise. (Well it is boggling imagining you chasing a hippo down a metropolitan street anyway!!)]

Old 04-08-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Hi Again to All!

Everyone here is so friendly! Thanks for the nice welcomes:)
Old 04-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

howdy and welcome to the forum!
Old 04-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
Master Chef

Old 04-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Welcome to DC!!

[Fisher's Mom: A hippo?!! I take it this was in your vet days... my mind is boggling otherwise. (Well it is boggling imagining you chasing a hippo down a metropolitan street anyway!!)]
It was about 25 years ago and Pearland was a small semi-rural town then. (I haven't been there since so I'm sure it's grown a lot.) A small travelling "zoo" was passing through at night but when they stopped to feed and water the animals, apparently they didn't get the hippo's trailer latched well and it got out. They chased it for a while in the dark and then it went underneath the porch of a little wooden farm house. Hippos don't have the best disposition so they aren't easy to handle. But it's also hard to accurately and adequately tranquilize an exotic animal without overdosing them. So the Pearland police called the Houston zoo for advice and/or help. My friend was a part time vet for the elephants at the time so the call eventually got passed to him. He called me and a couple of other friends who also worked for him to see if we wanted to come along and help. The fear was that the hippo, who had already damaged the porch because it was really to big to fit under it, would break the gas lines that were right there, too. Anyway, my friend managed to get it tranquilized and then other folks were able to use a winch to drag him out. It was actually kind of comical - especially seeing the faces of the homeowners who got waked up in the middle of the night to a hippo under their house.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
It was about 25 years ago and Pearland was a small semi-rural town then. (I haven't been there since so I'm sure it's grown a lot.) A small travelling "zoo" was passing through at night but when they stopped to feed and water the animals, apparently they didn't get the hippo's trailer latched well and it got out. They chased it for a while in the dark and then it went underneath the porch of a little wooden farm house. Hippos don't have the best disposition so they aren't easy to handle. But it's also hard to accurately and adequately tranquilize an exotic animal without overdosing them. So the Pearland police called the Houston zoo for advice and/or help. My friend was a part time vet for the elephants at the time so the call eventually got passed to him. He called me and a couple of other friends who also worked for him to see if we wanted to come along and help. The fear was that the hippo, who had already damaged the porch because it was really to big to fit under it, would break the gas lines that were right there, too. Anyway, my friend managed to get it tranquilized and then other folks were able to use a winch to drag him out. It was actually kind of comical - especially seeing the faces of the homeowners who got waked up in the middle of the night to a hippo under their house.
Amazing!!! You have some great tales/experiences!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Welcome...enjoy !