"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 07-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sailing Recipes

Hello everyone,
I live aboard a sailboat and am collecting recipes of all kinds that will be easy to make while underway and don't have a long list of ingredients. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Fair Winds, and Smooth Sailing!

Deb ~ ~~~ _/) ~~~~

Old 07-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Here's some good ideas: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...pes-43768.html

Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Jeek, it's a short thread, but it's a start!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Do you have a good selection of local ingredients? Crab, lobster, etc? Using those would be best for cost and flavor. What type of foods do you prefer?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I'm not a fussy eater and love to try new things. Right now I'm in Central California but will be heading south to Mexico in October/November.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Senior Cook

While in Central California, take advantage of all the fresh fruits and veggies that are available. If you have a grill on board, use it to grill fish, chicken, beef, etc. as well as veggies such as zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes, onions, etc. (just brush with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, herbs). If you don't have a grill, roast veggies in your oven along with chicken, fish, etc. A rice/veggie steamer is a nice thing to have -- you can prepare fresh veggies with rice very quickly. Fresh fruit (plentiful along the CA and Mexican coasts) makes a great dessert. Have you ever tried grilling fruit? Delicious!! Keep your meals simple and you will be able to spend more time enjoying your trip. Happy Sailing!
Old 07-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all the suggestions Shelly, it's so nice to get a different perspective. I really get tired of sandwiches when I'm sailing and sometimes I just need something special so I'm collecting simple recipes for quick easy meals. I do have a rice steamer but I've never steamed vegies in it, do I put them in there with the rice? The oven isn't always an option because it heats the boat up so much, so I've got some no bake cookie recipes and dessert recipes for on the grill. I haven't tried grilling fruit yet, but it sounds interesting, do I brush it with olive oil too? I had a nice little grill,...till the other day. As luck would have it, I dropped it into the ocean by accident while removing it for a through cleaning and polishing. Guess I got out of that nasty chore. I have a new one on order and hope to have it by the weekend. Maybe I'll grill some fruit!...uh....how do I start?

Smooth Sailin...~~~_/) ~ ~~~~
Old 07-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #8
Head Chef

Do you have a crockpot, Deb? And/or an electric skillet with a lid?

Lee
Old 07-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

oooooooh ! Grilling fruit is heavenly!

Try this one: Cut peaches in half (yellow ones work better than white), then brush with a glaze of melted butter & brown sugar (you can even add cinnamon) Grill, cut side down and then serve either over a slice of pound cake or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream...or whipped cream....

Bananas are GREAT grilled! Think bananas foster!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
Executive Chef

You can grill marinaded pineapple wedges in dark rum and top with vanilla ice cream.