"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lightbulb Struggling newbie

Hi all, My name is Ahmed and I'm from Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
I've decided to really make a change in my life, and be actually healthy instead of my silly theoretical knowledge. Truth is, I don't know where to begin.

So, I will list some facts about myself, and hopefully you guys would point me where to start. I would appreciate ANY help whatsoever.
* I don't know how to cook anything at all.
* I'm always outside of home, I wake up around 5 am and leave, and don't come back home until 10 pm.
* There's no kitchen at work, the only cooking tool available for me for lunch and breakfast is a microwave.
* Sometimes, I'm only free one morning a week (usually no free days, but i'm aiming to fix that -_-")

So... ^_^" any ideas??

Old 10-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

First off, welcome to DC. You will be getting a lot of advice here. Tell us what foods you can eat and like for a starter.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks Addie. To be honest I never thought about it much. I'm a Muslim so anything alcoholic or contains ham or pork is out of the equation entirely. I'm not a big fan of beans but I know I should be an adult about it :confused: oh and I never liked beetroot.
I've honestly neve gave it much thought ever.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 10-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

How do you get your meals with the schedule you described? If you're never home, how do you expect to cook or even learn to cook?
Old 10-05-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Well, normally I just eat from the company's cafeteria. I want to change that. Like for example, prepare some salad on the weekend and take some everyday? Or prepare meals I can cook with the microwave later?

Old 10-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Oh, let's just pretend, for learning sake, I have an empty kitchen, as if I have zero tools. I have an oven, and many other stuff but I think I really need to start shopping. So let's just pretend I'm shopping for my first kitchen equipment

Old 10-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Master basic skills

Particularly, master basic knife skills. Once you can easily and quickly peel and slice or mince an onion, mince garlic, dice a potato, etc. everything becomes easier. Learn how to hold the food properly so you won't accidentally cut your hand, too (bear claw grip with all your fingers and thumb curled inwards). Start with recipes that use a minimal number of ingredients. And practice "mise en place"- do all your prep work first so everything is ready to add at the proper time. Use a good, sharp knife and always keep it sharp.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hi Ahmed
Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 10-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Pot View Post
Particularly, master basic knife skills. Once you can easily and quickly peel and slice or mince an onion, mince garlic, dice a potato, etc. everything becomes easier. Learn how to hold the food properly so you won't accidentally cut your hand, too (bear claw grip with all your fingers and thumb curled inwards). Start with recipes that use a minimal number of ingredients. And practice "mise en place"- do all your prep work first so everything is ready to add at the proper time. Use a good, sharp knife and always keep it sharp.
Excellent advice. And if you need visual, then there are plenty of Youtube video demos for all of the above.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Hi Ahmed, welcome. I would suggest you invest in a good quality dutch oven (big, sturdy pot) that can be used on the stove or in your oven. It will lend itself to many different types of recipes. You can make big pots of food and freeze portions for quick meals later.

You could make a large pot of lamb (or whatever you like) stew with veg and eat off that for days. Freeze some.

Grain salads (couscous or quinoa) with roasted vegetables would be a healthy and nutritious meal.

Tags