"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili
Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Executive Chef
You don't need much - for the recipe I posted, use a tablespoon or so to start, then add more if you need it. Old corn tortillas crumbled up work really well as thickeners, too.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
Executive Chef
This is the one I tried. Have to try marmalady's next. Lot more work than the one I tried. As long as it's good.

Chili In A Hurry

Yield: 12 to 14 servings.
3 pounds lean ground beef

1 medium onion, diced

2 to 3 cloves garlic, diced

1 or 2 (6-ounce) cans tomato paste

1 (40-ounce) bottle ketchup (such as Brooks)

1 (28-ounce) bottle ketchup, optional

1 (about 1.25-ounce) package chili mix (such as Brooks)

3 tablespoons chili powder

2 teaspoons cumin seeds

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves

2 tablespoons dry mustard

2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped

About 1 1/2 cups water, optional

Ground black pepper

1 (16-ounce can) chili beans, optional

In a deep 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef with onion and garlic. When beef is cooked through and onion is translucent; drain and discard fat.

Add 1 can tomato paste, 40 ounces ketchup, chili mix, chili powder, cumin seeds, ground cumin, thyme, mustard, chocolate, salt and pepper to taste and beans. Stir until chocolate melts. If mixture is too thick, stir in water. If mixture is too thin, add the remaining 1 can tomato paste or the remaining 28 ounces ketchup. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.

PER SERVING (based on 12 servings): 386 calories; 14.5g fat (34 percent calories from fat); 6g saturated fat; 41mg cholesterol; 28g protein; 37g carbohydrate; 14g sugar; 4g fiber; 1,412mg sodium; 50mg calcium; 910mg potassium.

Tester's note: We thought this thick, sweet and not-too-spicy chili made a great topping for hot dogs.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
Master Chef
Originally Posted by marmalady
You don't need much - for the recipe I posted, use a tablespoon or so to start, then add more if you need it. Old corn tortillas crumbled up work really well as thickeners, too.
Or you can take the fresher ones, break 'em up into chip-sized pieces, and put them in hte bowl. They add a phenomenal flavor. I'm talking soft corn tortillas though. Also, hominy has a similar flavor and can be added to chili.

Seeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote