Chili Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would agree that no matter the rest of the varied ingredients, the use of MASA as a thickener can make all the difference for a winner of a recipe. I had to buy a 5 lb bag several years ago, just to make chili and I now have a lifetime supply as I have no intention of making anything else with it. :LOL:

Don't forget the Masa. ;)
I can't find MASA here, so I buy it in MN (of all places--such a huge Mexican population in N MN). I learnt the hard way that it should be kept in the freezer...one of my unopened bags was full of bugs when I opened it. But I agree, MASA makes a huge difference and I'm glad I twigged to that for chili, etc.

I can't find MASA here, so I buy it in MN (of all places--such a huge Mexican population in N MN). I learnt the hard way that it should be kept in the freezer...one of my unopened bags was full of bugs when I opened it. But I agree, MASA makes a huge difference and I'm glad I twigged to that for chili, etc.

Actually, I don't think that Masa is more prone to bugs than anything else. I've had that 5 lb bag in my pantry for years and it's still bug free. You're right though, if space permits (not for me) anything like that is safer in the freezer.

Any grain ground to a meal or flour can contain bug larva. They are a no cost addition from the mill.

To solve the problem, place the bag of flour or meal in the freezer for three days. This will permanently kill the larva and you can take it out of the freezer and store it in a cabinet or pantry.

Looks like ingredients have been well covered. You might want to consider simplicity. Make a chili powder with 2-3 ground chilis (a little cascabell, ancho and California), paprika, ground cumin. You choose the combination, but I would caution the use of more than one hottie in the mix. A simple sofrito of onion, garlic and 1 type of fresh green chili. Personally, I would not use tomato as it adds too much acid that will have to be balanced with something. Mexican oregano for sure and more cumin, freshly ground. Sneak in a little chipotle in adobo:rolleyes:. S&P and as previously mentioned, masa as the thickener. For liquid, beef stock or water. Just my idea how to approach it considering the folks being served.
Yeah all of those are good ideas. Particularly the oregano and cumin. And of course if it doesn't have chili peppers then it isn't chili! :)

(highlighted above) I balance the tomatoes with sugar. It seems to work for me.

I'm intrigues by the comments about cocoa powder or chocolate. That reminds me of mole sauce which features cocoa or chocolate plus chiles. That sounds like Mexican or Central/South American chili to me. I'm tempted to dump a bottle of mole sauce in my chili some time. Or use some chocolate, probably unsweetened, then add sugar to my chili to taste.

I would agree that no matter the rest of the varied ingredients, the use of MASA as a thickener can make all the difference for a winner of a recipe. I had to buy a 5 lb bag several years ago, just to make chili and I now have a lifetime supply as I have no intention of making anything else with it. :LOL:

Don't forget the Masa. ;)

I don't know how long masa lasts. I hope you keep it in a tightly sealed container. It's so inexpensive I suggest you discard it after perhaps 3 years or so, and get new. Even better, try making some tortillas or tamales some day. It would be interesting if there are any casseroles featuring masa as a sort of bread component.

As I said I first became acquainted with using masa as a thickener from Carroll Shelby's chili mix. It worked well with the mix and I later used masa when making chili from my own recipes from scratch, to good effect.

It seems to me that the masa adds more than thickening. I think it adds a subtle but good corn taste. Does anybody agree with this or am I just imagining that the masa changes the taste at all?

Last edited:
from Greg:
" I think it adds a subtle but good corn taste. Does anybody agree with this or am I just imagining that the masa changes the taste at all?"

I would agree with that...it also has a slightly sweet corn taste. My Texan Grandfather used Masa in both his beef chili and his wonderful white chicken chili.

Where does the term "white chili" come from? I guess as starters chicken or turkey provides less browning than beef, and pretty sure tomatoes are ruled out for "white chili." Is that a good guess?

I would consider who the judges are or will be. If your picking patients or doctors or someone really into chili the goal to please might be totally different. Bobby Flay loses Throwdown when gives them something too different that what they are used to. People get stuck on things.

With that being said, I like mine with only meat,chilis,onions,beer and spices. Cumin, pepper ang garlic being the major ones. I also prefer cubed over ground beef.

Fiona - If it was me I'd start with bbq Tri-tip...chill after cooking and then cut it into cubes 1/2" or smaller.. I use NO tomato or beans...a variation of Tex-Mex chili...the rest is secret beyond the usual spices and a pinch of cornstarch to thicken...

Here's the white chili recipe that got me a trophy at a local chili contest. Modify as needed if you're interested in making it a DC recipe.
2009 United Way Chili Cook-off, 1rst-place Prize-Winning Recipe, White Chili Category – Chief Lognwind's’ White Chili

In past years, I made this same basic recipe, but with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. So this year, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes.

Ingredients:
* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* ½ cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 grind)
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family. But remember, like all great chili, this is even better the next day. So if you can, cool it in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve it with some good cornbread, or nachos.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Where does the term "white chili" come from? I guess as starters chicken or turkey provides less browning than beef, and pretty sure tomatoes are ruled out for "white chili." Is that a good guess?
I make mine with grilled chicken or turkey breast, chicken or turkey stock, no tomatoes.

Princess you are so brave to take on a challenge like this. I like the friendly spirit of the idea. No matter what everyone is getting involved. Can't go wrong with that at all.

I don't have any special recipes like most here do. Finding some of the ingredients can be a challenge especially if it's out of season.

Have you thought about using a Brisket. A little one can go a long way for chili. I didn't see it mentioned if you or anyone else had set a budget for the fun. Start a day or so ahead with some things. Then at the last few hours put it all together. Fill a Crock Pot and go. Less stress on you. Easy transport and delivery.

You've already won in many DC'ers (sp) book.:chef:

Munky.

Princess you are so brave to take on a challenge like this. I like the friendly spirit of the idea. No matter what everyone is getting involved. Can't go wrong with that at all.

I don't have any special recipes like most here do. Finding some of the ingredients can be a challenge especially if it's out of season.

Have you thought about using a Brisket. A little one can go a long way for chili. I didn't see it mentioned if you or anyone else had set a budget for the fun. Start a day or so ahead with some things. Then at the last few hours put it all together. Fill a Crock Pot and go. Less stress on you. Easy transport and delivery.

You've already won in many DC'ers (sp) book.:chef:

Munky.

Thanks Munky!:)

No set price, I have 1/8th of a cow in the freezer, so no problem with beef. About the only thing I don't have on hand is fresh ingredients and I'm waiting to see if my boss can get me some Cubanelles from Spokane.

I'm still working on this list of mentioned ingredients and will post it soon. Tonight i need to relax, had a rough day at work. Once I get the list up, we can see what we have to work with.

Here's the Texas rule book (and it is a book):

http://www.chili.org/documents/CASI Official Rule Book.pdf

Note particularly, no beans, rice or other such filler. Contestant may be asked to taste their own product prior to the judge tasting it, and refusal is disqualification. And discharging firearms or explosions, as part of the preparation or otherwise, is prohibited.

By the time you finish reading the whole dang book, your chili should be done and ready for judgiing. :ohmy:

When I lived in Texas, I can't think of one Cantina that served chili with beans. The one I worked in, you had to ask for them as a separate dish. You got crackers on the side with a LOT of Mexican cheese on top of the chili. If there were three or four people sitting at a table and they all ordered chili, I would put a whole sleeve of crackers on the table. :yum:

When I lived in Texas, I can't think of one Cantina that served chili with beans. The one I worked in, you had to ask for them as a separate dish. You got crackers on the side with a LOT of Mexican cheese on top of the chili. If there were three or four people sitting at a table and they all ordered chili, I would put a whole sleeve of crackers on the table. :yum:

hrm PF, can you put toppings on the side for people to put on (cheese, sourcream, green onions etc?)

The Cantina I worked in, the customer base was 99% Mexican fishermen from Mexico. Most of them didn't even speak English. And the owner, Mama Lupe was also from Mexico. So what she served was what they would be eating at home. The cheese she served also came from Mexico. The topping of green onions, sour cream, etc. are what she called, "Gringo Food." Not a nice expression. At least not in the way she meant it. The crackers were the only 'gringo' food that she was willing to go with. In Mexico it would have been flour tortillas. She had them, but if you wanted to substitue, it would cost extra. She knew how to make her money. Crackers were a lot cheaper to serve.

Surprisingly, the customers really liked me. I think it was the fact that I am part Indian. Even though my tribe is located in New England. And they had a few good laughs at my expense trying to understand my attempts at Spanish. I didn't mind at all.

I'm sure they will have all the fixin's along with the chili, the facility is good about that.

I'll be posting this weekend, have a few things I have to do for work the next couple night's, so Saturday I should have all the ingredient's mentioned listed in OCD order and we can start eliminating and or adding.

DC Chili Challenge Ingredient List

Beef
Chicken

Pinto Beans
Kidney beans

Onion
Garlic
Tomato
Tomato Paste
El Pato Tomato Sauce
Green Bell Peppers
Cubanelles
Poblanos
Serranos
Habaneros
Hungarian Yellow Peppers
Anaheims
Jalapenos
Dried Chipotles
Sanaam
Cascabel
Dried Jalapenos
Cayenne
Crushed Red Pepper
Hungarian Paprika
Smoked Spanish Paprika
Chipotle powder
Chili Powder
Ground Cumin
Cumin Seed
Oregano
Marjoram
Dried Ancho Chiles
Chiptotles in Adobo
Coriander
Epazote

Masa
Corn Tortillas
Brown Sugar
Molasses
Lime Juice
Cocoa
Cider Vinegar

Last edited:
I will not be able to use cubes of beef, some folks cannot chew it well, so I plan on using the coarse plate on the grinder for the meat.

Salt is a consideration, many folks have a salt-free or low-salt diet, so salt will not be used in the recipe. The fat content should also be kept at a minimum.

Let's start eliminating some ingredients, I have looked for the epazote and cannot find it here...is there an online source? Still waiting to hear of we can get the cubanelles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom