"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili
Old 06-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Chili Recipes

Looking for a good chili recipe. Me & DH went to Longbranch the other night (Restaurant in Fayetteville, Georgia) and DH ordered some Chili that was really delicious had good flavor and some spice to it. So now I'm looking for a good chili recipe. If you have one, I would love for you to share it plz!

Jessica_Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
with or with out beans?

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
i don't have a recipe, but i made an outstanding beef and turkey chili recently (with beans, but they can be left out). my family loved it, snacking on it for days. in bread bowls, on hot dogs, on nachos, etc.. i brought some in for a couple of coworkers who killed off 2 pints in a few hours.

here goes; i still think i can remember a general explanation.

in a large ss skillet, render the fat from 2 slices of thick cut smoked bacon over medium-low heat. set bacon aside, and pour off a little of the bacon fat, reserving it for later.

add 3/4 pound of ground (85/15) beef to the hot fat. brown over medium-high heat, constantly chopping meat with a spoon or spatula to break it up. when well browned, transfer meat to a large ss stock pot over low heat.

add a cup of water to the skillet and deglaze, scraping the bottom. add liquid to the stock pot.

wipe out skillet, and render fat from 2 more slices of thick cut smoked bacon over medium low heat. set bacon aside with the first 2 slices.

add 3/4 pound of ground (93/7) ground turkey to the hot fat in the skillet. brown tukey - as best as possible - over medium heat, constantly scraping the pan while breaking up the meat. when browned-ish, trasfer meat to the stock pot.

add another cup of water to the skillet to deglaze, scraping. transfer liquid to the stock pot.

wipe out skillet, and render fat from 2 more slices of thick sliced smoked bacon. set bacon aside with the other 4 slices and let cool for a minute. chop bacon into 1/4" pieces and stir into the meat in the stock pot.

add 2 large sweet onions, diced 1/4" or so to the hot fat and fry over high heat until starting to brown. when almost done, push the onions to the sides and add a whole head of garlic, peeled and minced, to the center of the skillet with the reserved bacon fat. toast garlic for a minute, then stir into onions. transfer to stock pot.

to the stock pot, add 2 large green bell peppers, diced 1/4" , as well as a large bulb of fennel, also diced around 1/4".

add 2 minced, seeded, fresh jalapenos to the pot.

stir in a 12 oz. can of tomato paste, and a can (10 ozs.?) of rotel tomatoes with green chilis.

grind a healthy tablespoon of cumin seed. stir into pot, along with a heaping tbsp each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

make a rough chili powder by either grinding or finely chopping a dried chipotles, 2 dried anchos, and 2 dried mulato peppers. stir into pot.

if the mixture appears too thick, add a cup or more of water, or a beer if one is handy.

cover and simmer meat/pepper/onion/garlic/fennel mixture for a good hour until the peppers and fennel are starting to get soft, stirring frequently to keep it from burning on the bottom.

when the fennel and peppers are soft, stir in a drained and rinsed can (19 0zs.?) of red kidney beans, and a drained and rinsed can of cannellini beans.

cover and simmer another 30 minutes.

serve as i'd mentioned before, in bread bowls, on hot dogs, etc..

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #4
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
with or with out beans?
Either really. as long as it's got GREAT flavor!
Jessica_Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I prefer to make my chili from the left over taco meat mixture.

1# ground beef, browned with a chopped onion in a little water, covered on low. When meat and onions are done, drain and add 1 can diced stewed tomatoes and a pkg. of taco seasoning.

I have a tacos for dinner.

The next day, I add chili powder and tomato sauce, sometimes with a can of chili beans, mostly not.

What really give this chili the wow factor is the addition of a spoon of brown sugar and a sprinkle of allspice or ground cloves.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Executive Chef
I have one that I make with cornbread baked on top. I don't have exact measurements for some of the spices though because I'm really bad at keeping track of that kind of stuff so you might want to play with the mix a bit. It also makes a fairly large batch so you might also want to halve it. It's got a slow building burn. It seems deceptively mellow the first few bites and then grows as you eat more. If you need something milder sub out 1/4 green pepper for the serranos and make sure to remove the seeds from all the peppers. You can also get away with cutting back the jalepenos back to just one but if you can handle two, it really is a better flavor balance.

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 tblsp honey (more or less to your liking)
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar (optional)
1 minced jalapeno (optional)

1 poblano chili
1 anaheim chili
2 jalapenos
3 serranos
1 habanero (optional)
1/3 each sweet orange, yellow and red bell pepper (yes, using all three
colors matters)
1 large onion
2 to 3 cloves garlic
2 stalks celery
2 large ripe tomatoes
1 can kidney beans (optional)
1/2 lb beef (a chuck roast or chuck steak is what we usually use)
about 1/2 tsp ground coriander
about 2 tblsp chili powder (hot or mild, whichever you prefer)
about 1/8 tsp allspice (the hubby taught me about allspice in chili. It's

Mince the garlic cloves and dice the beef into bite size pieces. Brown the beef with the garlic, coriander, and chili powder. Dice the peppers, onion and celery and place in a large, lightly oiled baking dish (sorry, I don't know the size, I borrowed it from someone else). Blanch and peal the tomatoes if desired. I personally don't but the hubby and I don't really mind the skins. Core the tomatoes and cut into about 1/2 inch cubes. Place in the baking dish. When the meat is done add to the pan. Add the allspice. If using the kidney beans drain them well and add them. Toss everything together in the dish and then set aside.

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix all dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients and gently stir until all is mixed together. The batter should be pretty thick. Gently fold in the shredded cheese and/or minced jalapeno if you're using them. Pour gently over chili making sure to get an even covering across everything. Bake until cornbread is golden brown and a butter knife/toothpick comes out clean when slid into the cornbread at several spots. Serve and enjoy.
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
Master Chef
I can vouch for purple.alien.giraffe's recipe. I've had her chili. It's pretty good stuff.

Here's one that you might like as well, though a lot of people tell me they don't like white chili. Nobody who has tasted this white chili has left disappointed.

2009 United Way Chili Cook-off, 1rst-place Prize-Winning Recipe, White Chili Category – Bob Flowers’ White Chili

In past years, I made this same basic recipe, but with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. So this year, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes.

* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* ½ cup Salsa Verde (available in most grocery stores)
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 grind)
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family. But remember, like all great chili, this is even better the next day. So if you can, cool it in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve it with some good cornbread, or nachos.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Jaime Oliver was on one of the morning cooking shows the other day...he did what I often do, he topped his chili with a poached egg...

I like chili where you use chuck steak instead of ground meat. I also like to make it with pork cubes...and white chili with chicken...
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Mmm, your recipes all sound great!

Pace Picante Sauce website has a chicken chili I've made for years, tweaking the spices and adding epazote. I try to always have some in the freezer. It's really good with sliced scallions, sour cream and shredded cheddar.

I like cocoa powder in my meat chilis, along with epazote and freshly ground cumin. No batch ever turns out the same, but we've never been disappointed!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
PF's Chili

PF's Chili

1/4 pound bacon, diced
2 lbs beef stew meat
1 lb onions, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1 Serrano, seeded and minced
2 red peppers, diced
2 lbs Roma tomatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup New Mexico Chili Powder
1/2 lb soaked pinto beans, cooked or 2 cans, rinsed

In a large pot, cook bacon, rendering out fat, remove cooked bacon to paper towels to drain and reserve for munching whenever you feel like it.

Brown beef in bacon fat, add onions and garlic, cook until onions are translucent. Add peppers and tomatoes, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in chili powder, add more liquid if needed (I use V-8), stir in cooked or canned beans, salt to taste. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Meat should be tender.

Serve with all the fun fixings, bacon should be gone by now.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Chili Thickener | - »