For Chili Heads Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, they're a pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?

If that jingle rings in my head for the next 3 hours, I'm going to contact the Princess, and see if she can send over Shrek to, um, talk, to you.:LOL:

And if Chili is always made with meat, then how come there's chili con carne, literally, chili with meat, and then simply, chili. In Chili, if there are no beans, onions, celery, etc, and no meat, what's left in the pot?

I do have to admit though, whether I make chili con carne, or some other variation, I still just call it chili.;) And yest, I love beans in my chili. But you don't have to. It's ok.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Actually, chile is a pepper. Chili is a food dish...
Technically, you can spell the capsicum fruit's name as chili, chile, or chilli. All are considered correct, and you commonly see those spellings all over.
Chili pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to the Chief's point, the full name of the dish is Chili con Carne, i.e. chili peppers with meat, although it's usually abbreviated as just "Chili."

Back in the 90s, when I lived out in Nevada, I competed in a couple of Chili cookoffs that were sponsored by the self-declared International Chili Society. Now those guys are Chili snobs. Tomatoes are considered fine to use as an ingredient, but adding beans or pasta will get you disqualified (and possibly ushered off the competition grounds).

Personally, I love Chili of all kinds - with or without beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, or garlic. I'm not really that much of a snob. But, at the very least, I do think it should include ground dried chilis and meat. I mean... that's really what defines the dish.

We also make a dish at our house quite often that we refer to as Vegetarian Chili. It consists of beans in a tomato and chili-based sauce. Now if somebody were to challenge me and say, no, that's not Chili, I would have to agree. It isn't. But we still call it that, because it's what it most resembles and tastes like.

So I won't argue the point with Chief. He can call his dish whatever he wants.

(but I'll still call it "spicy fish stew" - as I duck and run for cover)

Last edited:
Technically, you can spell the capsicum fruit's name as chili, chile, or chilli. All are considered correct, and you commonly see those spellings all over.
Chili pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I know - hence the winkie ;) The article I linked to said that. As an editor, though, I pick the spelling I think is best and use it consistently. It's really a style question.

Technically "Chili" is a pepper? Right?
I am asking.

It is sort of like the word Pueblo. It can be the name of a tribe of Native Americans or a type of housing. A Chile can be a pepper or a dish made with Chile peppers. Either one is correct.

It is sort of like the word Pueblo. It can be the name of a tribe of Native Americans or a type of housing. A Chile can be a pepper or a dish made with Chile peppers. Either one is correct.

Actually, RB asked about chili, not Chile. ;) Lower-case chile is the pepper while upper-case Chile is a proper noun - the country. Same with Pueblo/pueblo. Upper-case Pueblo is the Native-American tribe, or the municipality in Colorado; lower-case pueblo is the type of community found in the Southwest.

Actually, RB asked about chili, not Chile. ;) Lower-case chile is the pepper while upper-case Chile is a proper noun - the country. Same with Pueblo/pueblo. Upper-case Pueblo is the Native-American tribe, or the municipality in Colorado; lower-case pueblo is the type of community found in the Southwest.

My boo boo. I was unaware that spelling counted here. Or is that hair? :angel:

Back in the 90s, when I lived out in Nevada, I competed in a couple of Chili cookoffs that were sponsored by the self-declared International Chili Society. Now those guys are Chili snobs. Tomatoes are considered fine to use as an ingredient, but adding beans or pasta will get you disqualified (and possibly ushered off the competition grounds).

I bet fish in the chili would bring out the six shooters! :shock:

Wow! You woke my senses up just reading that recipe! Looks like a great recipe though. The nice thing about chili is we can adjust the heat any way we want. My problem is I don't always get it quite right. I don't mind if it's just a little too hot, but when it's not hot enough... now that's disappointing. I'm one of those weirdos who saves certain dishes for cold weather and others for the warmer months. There's no hard fast rule... the change just kind of eases me in to the new seasons, and I look forward to having some meals I hadn't had in a while. Unfortunately, chili is one of those things you can kind of throw a little of this, and little more of that, etc. into the pot. I'd be happy to share my mole chili with orange zest, but I'll be wingin' it on exact amounts. Oops if "Longwinded" wasn't already taken, I guess the name would be fitting. Sorry, that's what I do... I ramble.

Wow! You woke my senses up just reading that recipe! Looks like a great recipe though. The nice thing about chili is we can adjust the heat any way we want. My problem is I don't always get it quite right. I don't mind if it's just a little too hot, but when it's not hot enough... now that's disappointing. I'm one of those weirdos who saves certain dishes for cold weather and others for the warmer months. There's no hard fast rule... the change just kind of eases me in to the new seasons, and I look forward to having some meals I hadn't had in a while. Unfortunately, chili is one of those things you can kind of throw a little of this, and little more of that, etc. into the pot. I'd be happy to share my mole chili with orange zest, but I'll be wingin' it on exact amounts. Oops if "Longwinded" wasn't already taken, I guess the name would be fitting. Sorry, that's what I do... I ramble.

Have a bottle of hot sauce on the table for when you don't quite get it hot enough. That way no one can complain it is not hot enough or too hot. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom