"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Chili

Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Actually, chile is a pepper. Chili is a food dish; ingredients and methods vary greatly ...

+1 This is what I do.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Technically "Chili" is a pepper? Right?
I am asking.
I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, they're a pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?

Old 06-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper, they're a pepper. Wouldn't you like to be a pepper, too?
If that jingle rings in my head for the next 3 hours, I'm going to contact the Princess, and see if she can send over Shrek to, um, talk, to you.

And if Chili is always made with meat, then how come there's chili con carne, literally, chili with meat, and then simply, chili. In Chili, if there are no beans, onions, celery, etc, and no meat, what's left in the pot?

I do have to admit though, whether I make chili con carne, or some other variation, I still just call it chili. And yest, I love beans in my chili. But you don't have to. It's ok.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #24
Wine Guy

Quote:
Actually, chile is a pepper. Chili is a food dish...
Technically, you can spell the capsicum fruit's name as chili, chile, or chilli. All are considered correct, and you commonly see those spellings all over.
Chili pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And to the Chief's point, the full name of the dish is Chili con Carne, i.e. chili peppers with meat, although it's usually abbreviated as just "Chili."

Back in the 90s, when I lived out in Nevada, I competed in a couple of Chili cookoffs that were sponsored by the self-declared International Chili Society. Now those guys are Chili snobs. Tomatoes are considered fine to use as an ingredient, but adding beans or pasta will get you disqualified (and possibly ushered off the competition grounds).

Personally, I love Chili of all kinds - with or without beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, or garlic. I'm not really that much of a snob. But, at the very least, I do think it should include ground dried chilis and meat. I mean... that's really what defines the dish.

We also make a dish at our house quite often that we refer to as Vegetarian Chili. It consists of beans in a tomato and chili-based sauce. Now if somebody were to challenge me and say, no, that's not Chili, I would have to agree. It isn't. But we still call it that, because it's what it most resembles and tastes like.

So I won't argue the point with Chief. He can call his dish whatever he wants.

(but I'll still call it "spicy fish stew" - as I duck and run for cover)
Old 06-13-2014, 10:02 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Technically, you can spell the capsicum fruit's name as chili, chile, or chilli. All are considered correct, and you commonly see those spellings all over.
Chili pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes, I know - hence the winkie The article I linked to said that. As an editor, though, I pick the spelling I think is best and use it consistently. It's really a style question.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Technically "Chili" is a pepper? Right?
I am asking.
It is sort of like the word Pueblo. It can be the name of a tribe of Native Americans or a type of housing. A Chile can be a pepper or a dish made with Chile peppers. Either one is correct.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
It is sort of like the word Pueblo. It can be the name of a tribe of Native Americans or a type of housing. A Chile can be a pepper or a dish made with Chile peppers. Either one is correct.
Actually, RB asked about chili, not Chile. Lower-case chile is the pepper while upper-case Chile is a proper noun - the country. Same with Pueblo/pueblo. Upper-case Pueblo is the Native-American tribe, or the municipality in Colorado; lower-case pueblo is the type of community found in the Southwest.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Actually, RB asked about chili, not Chile. Lower-case chile is the pepper while upper-case Chile is a proper noun - the country. Same with Pueblo/pueblo. Upper-case Pueblo is the Native-American tribe, or the municipality in Colorado; lower-case pueblo is the type of community found in the Southwest.
My boo boo. I was unaware that spelling counted here. Or is that hair?
Old 06-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

Back in the 90s, when I lived out in Nevada, I competed in a couple of Chili cookoffs that were sponsored by the self-declared International Chili Society. Now those guys are Chili snobs. Tomatoes are considered fine to use as an ingredient, but adding beans or pasta will get you disqualified (and possibly ushered off the competition grounds).
I bet fish in the chili would bring out the six shooters!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I bet fish in the chili would bring out the six shooters!
Good one Kayelle. Got me laughing. And thanks. The laughing set off a coughing spell.

Tags
beans, chili, heat, recipe

For Chili Heads Only Ok kids, this chili will seperate the chili heads from normal people. DW is down sick and has to eat easily digestible foods, including jello water. That left an opening for me to play. My chili came out pretty tasty, and probably not like any chili recipe you've tasted. Warning, this is really hot. Ingredients: 2 Pollock Fillets 1 yellow onion 1 celery stalk. 1 pat butter (about a tsp.) Salt Pepper grinder pepper 1/4 tsp. ground cumin 1/4 tsp. ground coriander 1 tbs. hot chili powder 1 fully ripe, fresh ghost pepper 1 tbs, Sriracha Pepper Sauce 1/2 tsp. Tabasco Sauce, original flavor 15 oz. can pinto beans 15 oz. can black beans Wash and slice the celery. Peel the onion, slice it in half through its equator. Slice each half into quarters. Heat the butter in a 3 quart sauce pan until it begins to bubble. Add the celery and onion. Season with salt. Remember to season each layer with a little salt and pepper. When the veggies are just starting to soften, and the fish cubes. Cover and let the food simmer for 5 minutes. Add the herbs and spices, and stir them in. Add both the pinto and black beans. Fold the pot ingredients together. Taste and correct the seasonings. Add the Sriracha and Tabasco sauces. Finally, use kitchen shears to finely cut the ghost pepper into the chili. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve with whatever you like with chili. And the fish flavor works very well in this chili. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews