I lost my rec for White Chicken Chili - HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Help! I've lost my favorite recipe for White Chicken Chili.

Here are the ingreds I remember:
chicken
onion
2 c. shredded jack cheese ADDED into the chili, not as a topping
green chiles
2 cans great northern beans

This is a recipe made in a soup kettle, not the slow cooker kind.
I've searched various websites, but all I've found just top the chili with cheese, rather than incorporate it. Also, I'm not looking for the ones that have jalepeno or bell peppers in them.

Thanks all!

Here's the one I think you are looking for:

2 onions chopped fine
olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1/3 cup chili sauce
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
6 cups chicken stock or broth
3 cans white kidney beans drained
3 cups grated Monterey Jack
sour cream

salsa and fresh cilantro to top

Saute onions in oil, add garlic, chili sauce, and spices. Add beans and stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer til ready to serve. Just before serving...add 1/2 - 1 cup of sour cream and blend in, add cheese and stir til it melts, add chicken, then s&p to taste. Top with grated cheese, sour cream, salsa and cilantro.

jkath I am sorry you lost your receipe for White Chicken Chili. Alix's receipe sounds delicious.

The Food Network might be able to help you.

I hope you and your family are all doing well. Have a wonderful day.

Thanks guys, but none of those are it:(
It doesn't have any chili sauce, or uses salsa, corn, lime or tequilla. Also, the beans are left whole.

I'm still looking though - I think if worse comes to worse, I'll make up a new one, combining all of your ideas:chef:

Got it!

I used to cook this and then freeze it, so it occurred to me that my freezer-cooking-buddy would have my recipe, and sure enough she did :)

Here it is, for anyone who's interested - it's really easy!

Colorado white chili

4 c. cooked chicken, cubed---> boil & reserve broth
4 c. jack, shredded
3 cans great northern white beans, drained
8 oz. diced green chiles ( 2 cans)
2 c. chicken broth (from cooking the chicken)
1 med. onion, chopped & sauteed (microwave in butter till soft)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. chili powder​

Mix all ingreds together in large pot.
Simmer 1 hour, stirring often.​

Optional: Add sour cream to each bowl as a mix-in when serving.

Last edited:
Jkath, I believe that's the white chili I've been looking for, too. A lady at the beauty shop told me the recipe one day, and I didn't write it down, thinking I'd remember it. And I sort of did, but I couldn't remember the amounts, and while my husband thought what I made was good, I didn't care for it.
I bought a quite a few cans of Progresso Cannelli beans when a local grocery store went out of business, and I really need to start using them up. This would be a perfect way to do that.

Many thanks!

jkath said:
I used to cook this and then freeze it, so it occurred to me that my freezer-cooking-buddy would have my recipe, and sure enough she did :)

Here it is, for anyone who's interested - it's really easy!

Colorado white chili

4 c. cooked chicken, cubed---> boil & reserve broth
4 c. jack, shredded
3 cans great northern white beans, drained
8 oz. diced green chiles ( 2 cans)
2 c. chicken broth (from cooking the chicken)
1 med. onion, chopped & sauteed (microwave in butter till soft)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp oregano
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. chili powder​

Mix all ingreds together in large pot.
Simmer 1 hour, stirring often.​

Optional: Add sour cream to each bowl as a mix-in when serving.

This looks similar to the recipe I chose from Recipezaar earlier. The main differnece is it calls for cayenne pepper instead of chili powder. I think I'll use chili powder myself. How many servings would you say your recipe makes?

good point, thymeless!

Constance - hope that is the one - it's so good and smooth!

abecedarian - it's hard to say how many it feeds, as our family stuns people by how much we eat! I'd say it's about 2 nights' dinners for us. (It's really good to make a large batch like this, then freeze dinner-sized portions in freezer bags. Once you want it, just thaw in the fridge overnight, and then heat in a pot for a quick dinner)

abecedarian said:
How many servings would you say your recipe makes?

There's about 18 cups of food in the ingredeints list That's about 4 1/2 quarts of chili. As it cooks down a bit figure about 4 quarts/ 1 gallon finished. 1 cup servings seem small for chili so at 1 1/2 cups per serving thats a bit more than 10 servings.

thymeless said:
There's about 18 cups of food in the ingredeints list That's about 4 1/2 quarts of chili. As it cooks down a bit figure about 4 quarts/ 1 gallon finished. 1 cup servings seem small for chili so at 1 1/2 cups per serving thats a bit more than 10 servings.

Thanks! I'm getting ready to do some freezer cooking, and one of my sons asked for White Chili so I'm trying to see how far one batch might go.:chef:

(*insert Twilight Zone music here)
My boy and I were just talking about this recipe not even 10 minutes ago and here it was!

Back
Top Bottom