Zippys Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fng_3887

Cook
This is for all the people that are away from Hawaii. Zippys is a restaurant in Hawaii that serve one of the best chili.

Sometimes, when I want to recreate Zippy's chili dog plate, I throw in a package of red hot dogs during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Ono! Another good addition is chopped up portugese sausage.

1 lb. ground top round
1 round onion
1/4 lb. bacon
1 large can red kidney beans, drained
2 tsp. red wine
1 tsp. powdered chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp. ginger
1 bay leaf, crushed
Pinch paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. oregano leaves
Pinch cumin seed
1 tsp. Ajinomoto (msg)
1/2 C. chopped celery
1/2 C. chopped bell pepper
Dash Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 large can tomato sauce

Brown the ground top round with onion. Add bacon. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer 30 minutes.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. The only place I've heard of eating chili over rice is Hawaii, but in my years there it was an absolute. there were little vans that served "plate lunch" of various kinds, and always with one-two-tree scoop rice. To this day a favorite way to eat chili is over rice in our house (and it always had beans). When you went to zippies, you were always asked how many scoops of rice you wanted with your chili. The rice at the plate lunch places was always a very starchy, short grain rice served from an old fashioned ice cream scoop. The meal might be chili or curry or kal bi ribs or beef stew .... you name it. I miss that most about Hawaii, the wonderful cosmopolitan foods we had.

Back
Top Bottom