Bread spread recipe help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
When I was in Frascati Italy I ate a nice little family restaurant, a very warm and inviting place. The waiter seemed thrilled that a foreigner had just wandered in, this was not a touristy place by any means, particularly one that allowed him the chance to practice his English.

After I ordered my dinner he brought out some bread and a dip he wanted me to try. I believe it had anchovy or sardine in it and was slightly spicy, a red paste like dish that was very good. I have been looking for recipes to try and recreate it but thus far have not had any luck.

Anyone have any ideas?

Probably something close to that. The spread was served room tempature or slightly chilled not warmed.

While searching I looked at bagna cauda recipes and either missed the chili flakes or the ones I saw didn't have them.

Wonder how a little paprika would suit...

Rather than paprika, which is not really an Italian thing, maybe some roasted red peppers? Could it have been a variation on a French rouille?

I don't think so. But I think I will pick up some anchovies in a little it and see what happens.

Ok.. first stab at it was an epic fail. That will teach me to not soak the anchovies first.

May try again tomorrow morning.

Well I did a fair stab at it tonight. After some more searching and digging with Google I came up with the following.

Anchovies (drained and soaked for 30 minutes)
Tomato paste
Garlic
Crushed red pepper.
Olive oil.

Now I just need to get the mixture right, but it was good.

Back
Top Bottom