Dried Beef Cheese Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Army Pam

Assistant Cook
I am hoping someone can answer this question before Thursday when I intend to make the cheese balls.

The recipe I have is for an appitizer cheese ball and it calls for dried beef. Now does that mean the beef that comes in a jar that you find near the canned tuna and chicken, or the really thin lunch meat that you get in the cold case near the other pre-packaged lunch meat? Could really use the help. I am taking it to dinner on Friday and I need to know. Thanks. Pam:rolleyes:

Is it the one with crushed pineapple and onion and green pepper?
The dried beef in the little jar is what you need.

Hi Sharon. I actually have 2 recipes, the base is cream cheese with cheddar, onion, horseradish, and of course the beef. I appreciate your help. I have one of those jars of beef in my pantry right now so I can go ahead and give it a try, thanks for the quick response. Pam :chef:

I've seen "dried beef" both in the jars & in plastic packets in the lunch meat section. I'd think you could use either one.

But I think this recipe really calls for the jar, unless you are sure it is "dried beef".

Here is the recipe I am planning on using. I also read someplace that you need to rinse the beef before using it, what's that about?:wacko:

CHIPPED BEEF CHEESE BALL

8 ounces soft cheddar cheese

8 ounces cream cheese

4 ounces dried beef

3 tablespoons horseradish

chopped walnuts or pecans

assorted crackers

1. Chop beef into small pieces.
  2. Mix cream cheese& cheddar with hands, add beef & mix again.
  3. Put horseradish in strainer, drain well& add to cheese mixture.
  4. Shape into 2 balls& refrigerate overnight.
  5. Put chopped walnuts into plastic bag.
  6. Add a ball& press.
  7. Refrigerate until serving.
Serve w/crackers

I've always used the really thin beef thats in the package. Personally, I've never seen any in a jar before. Everyone I know that makes these around my area uses the packaged also.......I'm always questioning whats in the ones I taste to see what different ways they make them.

To answer the question about rinsing the dried beef that comes in the jar. The reason it needs to be rinsed is because it is very salty. I made the mistake once of using it without rinsing & I thought I was going to choke to death from all the salt.

The cheeseball recipe that I have calls for using the dried beef in the jar. Here is a copy of my recipe, which is similar to yours.

Cheese Ball

2 – 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened
1 jar dried beef
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
6 green onions
Walnuts, finely chopped

Mix all ingredients together except for nuts. Refrigerate mixture for two hours. Form into 2 balls. Roll in finely chopped nuts. Serve with crackers.

Thanks guys for all of your help. I will be making the cheese ball tonight for tomorrows dinner at my sister in laws. Heading to the commissary after work and I will get a package of the beef since I already have a jar of the other. I guess I will decide when I go to make it which I will use. Thanks for the tip about rinsing the jared stuff, I would hate to go to all the trouble of making it and then not be able to eat it. I like salt, but I don't want so much I choke on it! Pam :-p

dried beef, gosh, I have not thought of that in a loooooong time. My culinary challenged mother used to make a lot of dried beef gravy for the family. I don't think she rinsed it either, but I can see the wisdom of that. We then used the jars for orange juice glasses, an early version of recycling I guess.

:ohmy: I never would have thought of making gravy from the beef! We too had juice glasses growing up though, but they were from the Kraft "cheese" that came in the glasses. My sister and I would fight over who got one! I probably still have one or two in my own cupboard now.:LOL:

:rolleyes: Well, I made the cheese ball last night, we'll have it before dinner today. I ended up using the Budding packaged beef. My daughter's boyfriend called his mother and she said that is what she uses, so since I had both, I used that. Now since I still have the stuff in the jar I guess I will be making another one. Also my recipe called for 3 TABLESPOONS of horseradish and that seemed excessive. His Mom told me she uses 3 tsp. at most, so I used 2! I guess we will see tonight, wish me luck. Out of town guests from CA will be sampling it. Pam:)

Cheeseballs are so flexible that a little 'jiggling' of the ingredients won't affect it, I'm sure.

I used to serve that, also...and everyone enjoyed it.:)

crewsk said:
To answer the question about rinsing the dried beef that comes in the jar. The reason it needs to be rinsed is because it is very salty. I made the mistake once of using it without rinsing & I thought I was going to choke to death from all the salt.

My Ex used to mix that stuff with canned tomato soup and serve it over toast. It was a nostalgia food for her so any rational discussion of how good it was or was not could not occur. I couldn't gag it down. And, yes, the salt was overpowering.

Army Pam said:
Here is the recipe I am planning on using. I also read someplace that you need to rinse the beef before using it, what's that about?:wacko:

CHIPPED BEEF CHEESE BALL

8 ounces soft cheddar cheese

8 ounces cream cheese

4 ounces dried beef

3 tablespoons horseradish

chopped walnuts or pecans

assorted crackers

1. Chop beef into small pieces.
  2. Mix cream cheese& cheddar with hands, add beef & mix again.
  3. Put horseradish in strainer, drain well& add to cheese mixture.
  4. Shape into 2 balls& refrigerate overnight.
  5. Put chopped walnuts into plastic bag.
  6. Add a ball& press.
  7. Refrigerate until serving.
Serve w/crackers
*eats cheeseballs right off of computer screen*

Back
Top Bottom